acshearer Contributor.
Contributor.

Decommissioning old server but have services pointing its IP

Hello,

I have a very old server (OES2...I know, I know should have been replaced awhile ago) that is my NTP reference and LDAP server for my OES clients that use LDAP contextless login. I want to decommission this server but I am also not wanting to touch each of my clients and modify the NTP client and LDAP contextless login to point to a new IP address. My question is, once I shutdown this server, can I assign its IP address as a secondary IP address on another server in order to keep from having to modify the clients and have NTP and LDAP contextless login work without any issues?

Since it is so old, I don't even want to attempt a Transfer Migration as I am sure that would not end well.

Thanks,
Andrew
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Decommissioning old server but have services pointing it

acshearer;2494923 wrote:
Hello,

I have a very old server (OES2...I know, I know should have been replaced awhile ago) that is my NTP reference and LDAP server for my OES clients that use LDAP contextless login. I want to decommission this server but I am also not wanting to touch each of my clients and modify the NTP client and LDAP contextless login to point to a new IP address. My question is, once I shutdown this server, can I assign its IP address as a secondary IP address on another server in order to keep from having to modify the clients and have NTP and LDAP contextless login work without any issues?

Since it is so old, I don't even want to attempt a Transfer Migration as I am sure that would not end well.

Thanks,
Andrew

I know it'll work with LDAP, and am 99.9% certain it'll work with NTP.

We added a secondary IP to our servers for LDAP purposes and it "just worked". Although in our case, we wanted to prevent NCP from also using that secondary IP, so had to adjust some things (foget which file, I think maybe the ndsd.conf file?)

But that was a special use case.
0 Likes
acshearer Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Decommissioning old server but have services pointing it

thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Andrew
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.