Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1447 views

Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

I am working on a new BM server, NW65/SP4a. I installed the TCPIP files
from TCP661e.exe on it, the omestic versions.

I have two other 6.5 servers in my tree, both on SP4, both using null
encryption as installed by the SP.

I also have a 5.1/SP8 server, again haven't done anything special with
it regarding TCPIP.

I don't know what, if anything, else I ought to do, e.g.

-> Should I be using the D version on all server from their original SP
(from the TCPIP folder)?

-> Should I apply TCP661e to all my 6.5 servers but keep the null
version on the non-BM machines?

-> Should I do anything to the 5.1 server? (It is the current BM server
but will be taken down when the new one is finished.)

All 4 servers are running Edir 8738 as of yesterday as well. I'd also
appreciate knowing which of the above fall into the "you really ought to
do this right now" category and which are "it would be nice but you may
not find it necessary" category - and if I've done anything wrong as
well.

Thanks very much in advance.

-S-


Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

Do they have to? No.

Though I would recommend using the same SP set on all servers to make
trouble shooting easier. i.e. NW65sp4a, TCP661e, eDir 8.7.3.7, etc.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

"I want to live like there is no tomorrow
I want to dance like no one's around
I want to sing like nobody's listening
I want to give like I have plenty
I want to love like I'm not afraid
I want to be the man I was meant to be"
- Chris Tomlin's "The Way I Was Made"
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
news:TBa2g.5265$sd1.270@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Do they have to? No.
>
> Though I would recommend using the same SP set on all servers to make
> trouble shooting easier. i.e. NW65sp4a, TCP661e, eDir 8.7.3.7, etc.


I'm on SP4 on two boxes, SP4a on another, and that seems close enough
for now - I'll go to SP6 when it's out all around. I'm on edir 8738 on
all boxes so that's good, and that includes the 5.1/SP8 server.

Two questions remain:

1. I will use TCP661e.exe on all 6.5 boxes, but should I use the D
version or the null version on the non-BM boxes or does it matter?

2. What to use on the NW51/SP8 server -

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2972300.htm

- says it's only for Netware 6.5.

Thanks, and thanks in advance for your reply.

-S-

> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Novell Support Forum Sysop
>
> "I want to live like there is no tomorrow
> I want to dance like no one's around
> I want to sing like nobody's listening
> I want to give like I have plenty
> I want to love like I'm not afraid
> I want to be the man I was meant to be"
> - Chris Tomlin's "The Way I Was Made"



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

Hi,

Steve Freides wrote:
>
> 1. I will use TCP661e.exe on all 6.5 boxes, but should I use the D
> version or the null version on the non-BM boxes or does it matter?


You should use the null version on all non-VPN servers.

> 2. What to use on the NW51/SP8 server -


Tcp587i.exe

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

"Massimo Rosen" <mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> wrote in message
news:444A57CB.64A68AEB@spamcfc-it.de...
> Hi,
>
> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> 1. I will use TCP661e.exe on all 6.5 boxes, but should I use the D
>> version or the null version on the non-BM boxes or does it matter?

>
> You should use the null version on all non-VPN servers.
>
>> 2. What to use on the NW51/SP8 server -

>
> Tcp587i.exe


Many thanks again.

-S-


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

On 22/04/06 Steve Freides wrote:
> I'm on SP4 on two boxes, SP4a on another, and that seems close enough
> for now


Hopefully those sp4 boxes have n65nss4b applied ... if not I'd recommend
applying sp4a over them.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

"Andrew C Taubman" <ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com> wrote in
message news:y5U2g.5888$sd1.661@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> On 22/04/06 Steve Freides wrote:
>> I'm on SP4 on two boxes, SP4a on another, and that seems close enough
>> for now

>
> Hopefully those sp4 boxes have n65nss4b applied ... if not I'd recommend
> applying sp4a over them.


I have 4a, not 4b, on them. Install 4b?

TIA.

-S-


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

"Massimo Rosen" <mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> wrote in message
news:444A57CB.64A68AEB@spamcfc-it.de...
> Hi,
>
> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> 1. I will use TCP661e.exe on all 6.5 boxes, but should I use the D
>> version or the null version on the non-BM boxes or does it matter?

>
> You should use the null version on all non-VPN servers.


This is more than a little confusing - when I did the .ips script on the
SP4a server, it installed the null versions. Since that's my BM
server-to-be, I manually copied over the domestic versions.

On my first SP4 box with NSS_4a installed, the same installation script
installed the Domestic versions, and I now will have to copy over the null
version manually.

Could it be made any more difficult? 😞

-S-



>> 2. What to use on the NW51/SP8 server -

>
> Tcp587i.exe
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

On 28/04/06 Steve Freides wrote:
> I have 4a, not 4b, on them. Install 4b?


n65nss4a or nw65sp4a? If you have nw65sp4 (not nw65sp4a) then you need
to apply n65nss4b. If you have nw65sp4a you do not need n65nss4b.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

"Andrew C Taubman" <ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com>
wrote in message news:xFc4g.3310$HI3.834@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> On 28/04/06 Steve Freides wrote:
>> I have 4a, not 4b, on them. Install 4b?

>
> n65nss4a or nw65sp4a? If you have nw65sp4 (not nw65sp4a) then you need
> to apply n65nss4b. If you have nw65sp4a you do not need n65nss4b.


I have n65nss4a installed on top of nw65sp4 on two servers (and nw65sp4a
on the third).

I assume you're telling me to put the b patch on top of the a patch I
already installed - I'll do that. I thought there were issues in
applying the entire sp4a over top of sp4...

-S-


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Do TCPIP.NLM versions need to match in my tree?

On 28/04/06 Steve Freides wrote:
> I assume you're telling me to put the b patch on top of the a patch I
> already installed - I'll do that.


Correct.


> I thought there were issues in applying the entire sp4a over top of sp4.


Not that I'm aware of. Now the new server.exe is out perhaps Sp5 is a
safer choice.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.