Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

ESXI 5.5 and Netware 6.5

We have a stable and well working Netware 6.5 server - it is simply authenticating people and handling our files. It is on an older Dell server with Raid 5 and redundant power, network etc. Well it WAS. Recently on a Monday morning the server was not accessible. I got in to idrac and the server looked ok - no errors etc but I thought a restart would be in order as it had probably been almost a year since last reboot. Reboot didn't help - in fact reboot hung. It hung after going through the basic pre-boot scans etc and would not come up. Finally I came in to the office and my tech had by then noticed the front information screen was complaining about a power supply being inop. He pulled the inop power supply out and the server then rebooted (??? why was that preventing boot?) but we still could not access the server - I discovered that I could get to it through the secondary IP (2 cards) so I swapped the ips and then we could get to it. So it seemed a power supply went out and 1 nic. So then this has prompted me to be worried about this server. Purchased a Dell T320 - discovered that I really could not install Netware 6.5 on it.

Current - I have installed ESXI 5.5 on it and have installed Netware 6.5 in pre-migration mode and am now currently copying our data - about 1.6 tb. I will probably have the copying done this week. I have done a physical to physical migration before and it went perfectly and I have all my notes (it was about 2 years ago). But I just have this little nagging apprehension diving in to the migration. I see at least one post on these threads where someone was doing a migration and just at the point that the old server went down and new one was to become the server - something went wrong. Of course my worst nightmare is 2 non working servers. I have all the data backed up so that isn't a huge deal - I also have a replica for DS.

Anyone have any experience with this? I started off using esxi 4.1 but ran into the disk space limitation and I wanted to use as much of my new space as I could so that is why I went to esxi 5.5.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Melaniee,
> I see at least one
> post on these threads where someone was doing a migration and just at
> the point that the old server went down and new one was to become the
> server - something went wrong. Of course my worst nightmare is 2 non
> working servers. I have all the data backed up so that isn't a huge
> deal - I also have a replica for DS.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this? I started off using esxi 4.1 but
> ran into the disk space limitation and I wanted to use as much of my new
> space as I could so that is why I went to esxi 5.5.

Migration to an VM is identical to a physical migration. Also note that
the process to revert a failed migration is documented in the migration
docs.

Other than that, 6.5 SP8 runs just fine on ESXi 5.x

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

AndersG;2328895 wrote:
Melaniee,
> I see at least one
> post on these threads where someone was doing a migration and just at
> the point that the old server went down and new one was to become the
> server - something went wrong. Of course my worst nightmare is 2 non
> working servers. I have all the data backed up so that isn't a huge
> deal - I also have a replica for DS.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this? I started off using esxi 4.1 but
> ran into the disk space limitation and I wanted to use as much of my new
> space as I could so that is why I went to esxi 5.5.

Migration to an VM is identical to a physical migration. Also note that
the process to revert a failed migration is documented in the migration
docs.

Other than that, 6.5 SP8 runs just fine on ESXi 5.x

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

Thanks for the reply - I'll move forward. I'm in the process of copying the data - it is nice to be able to use an virtual network between the server and a virtual desktop machine to do the copying from backups. Once the majority of the data is copied I can just do compare copies.

I will proceed with the migration and hope it goes just as smoothly as it did last time.
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Well this may not be the right path for me. After getting Netware installed and copying my 2TB of data to the new server I restarted it and it only mounts _admin and nothing else. This after I spent days copying data from backups to it. I think I'll have to throw in the towel. There are no error along the way of Netware loading - it just says there are no netware partitions available to load any volumes.
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Well after re-installing netware 3 or 4 times now it seems that as soon as I expand my pool (to use all the disk space available) and / or add volumes besides just sys then sys will no longer mount and netware doesn't see any netware partitions any longer. If I leave the system as it defaults to when installing it will run fine - or in the case of what I did before - left it as default, then went in and expanded the pool, created volumes, mounted them and then copied my data to them - worked fine until the next re-boot and then no longer accessible. I have now tried the Dell ISO files for esxi 4.1, 5.1 and 5.5. I don't want to use 4.1 as it will not let me use all my disk space. About to give up and send the hardware back to Dell.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 18.08.2014 23:36, melaniee wrote:
>
> Well after re-installing netware 3 or 4 times now it seems that as soon
> as I expand my pool (to use all the disk space available) and / or add
> volumes besides just sys then sys will no longer mount and netware
> doesn't see any netware partitions any longer.

You are aware Netware has a 2TB device and partition limit, much like
every older OS? This sounds as if you're crossing that border, thus
destroying all your data.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

The last install attempt I set the disk for the netware VM to 2 tb and it still failed when I expanded the pool. I will try expanding the pool to be smaller and see what that does.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

melaniee;2329832 wrote:
The last install attempt I set the disk for the netware VM to 2 tb and it still failed when I expanded the pool. I will try expanding the pool to be smaller and see what that does.

Then do it again. I run numerous migrations (physiscl-physical, physical virtual, virtual-virtual) over the years, with multiple volumes up to 2Tb each (ie 7 per server) with no issues ever.
ESXi supports NW perfectly, did not reboot my file server (virtual) for months at time

Seb
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.