jimcheoros Contributor.
Contributor.

Easiest way to restore data from Netware 3.12 sbackup tape

I have a couple of ancient sbackup tapes from a NetWare 3.12 server. I've checked the media by imaging them and the tapes are fine. I've installed NW6.5 on an old Dell 2950 and tried creating session logs using SBCON, which sees the drive and can pull off the tape's session name without any issues, but the process always fails after less than a minute with "an error occurred during session file creation" and a TSA error code FFFcFFd5.

I've tried loading various other NLMs before running SBCON (TSAFS and TSANDS for example ) but without success..

Reading around, it seems you can use NBACKUP under Open Enterprise Server to restore SBACKUP tapes but I don't want to spend more time installing another OS if I can help it. "Back in the day" there were 3rd party backup utilities that could read SIDF format tapes (eg Arcserve, Novaback) but none of the current
versions appear to support it.

Any ideas?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
6 Replies
jimcheoros Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Easiest way to restore data from Netware 3.12 sbackup tape

add;

I also found the following instruction in the Netware 6.5SP8 utilities manual:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/pdfdoc/os_util_nw/os_util_nw.pdf

1. Type smdr . This loads the backup submitter so the backup software on the server can
communicate with the TSA.
2. Enter the full context of your user name.
3. Enter the administrator password.
4. Type tsa600 . This loads the TSA for NetWare 6.
5. Type smsdi .
6. Type qman . This creates a queue.
7. Type sbsc .
8. Type sbcon . This loads the backup engine.

But when I type"smdr" I get a couple of pages of command-line arguments and options, and no option to enter 2 & 3 (name & password). I can't load TSA600 as "server is unable to find load file TSA600" and the same for SBSC.

When I installed NW I was given a variety of configuration options and the one I chose (from memory) was the last in the list, called something like "Backup Server".

Is it possible it didn't install all the necessary files? If so, how do I install them?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have you tried

smdr new

instead of just "smdr"?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you have any blank or otherwise usable tapes, test to see that you can back up and restore using them to rule out the tape control issues.

I'm also wondering if there might be an issue going NSS when it was backed up on a traditional volume, not that I can think of how to create one of those on NW 6.5 as nwconfig doesn't have volume creation in it and only points to NSS

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
jimcheoros Contributor.
Contributor.

Have you tried

smdr new

instead of just "smdr"?

Thanks for the reply.

When I try to load "smdr new" I get an error message that it's a load-time rather than runtime option. When I try to unload SMDR I'm told I have to unload VLSMS and TSAFS first.

So I've done this, but when I run "SMDR new" all I get is options to change various settings, none of which appear to be related to sbackup.

0 Likes
jimcheoros Contributor.
Contributor.

If you have any blank or otherwise usable tapes, test to see that you can back up and restore using them to rule out the tape control issues.

Thanks, good idea. I'll give it a shot.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If smdr is already loaded, you'd need to unload it first. I had the impression  you'd have problems with smdr itself, which obviously is not the case. That being said: Andy is completely right. You'll have to check whether the subsystem itself is working correctly. Apart from a broken tape, loss of adjustment of the heads of the drive or other hardware related issues there've been many problems with NetWare autoloading wrong CDMs, such as nwtape as opposed to dlttape or vice versa.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.