Highlighted
Mike021548141 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Enhancements to NSS

Hi,

I'm planning to write a enhancement request to Novell but I'm interested to hear what the community thinks about enhancing NSS.
For me the key enhancements to the file system would be
1) File system level de-duplication making for smaller storage requirements, smaller backups, smaller VM guests etc.... Something along the lines of SDFS (Opendedup)

2) File system level versioning of documents. A policy controlled versioning system that keeps each file commit as an incremental store. Versioning is becoming a common expectation these days due to things like DropBox, S3 bucket level file versioning etc...

3) Volume level snapshot. File level snapshot's are great but there are times when you need to snapshot an entire volume in one state

4) Symbolic links (hard and soft). While they are some what of a nice to have the power of symlinks are huge

Having used NetWare and Linux for many years I love NSS as a user file system but its starting to fall behind.
Anyway I'm keen to hear if others have ideas about other features that should be included

MC

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Enhancements to NSS

I think #2 and #3 are already there??

And maybe #4

#2 is handled via Novell's archive and versioning add-on (it's included in OES).

#3 I thought was already a capability of NSS but you had to enable it I believe (although only on a pool basis, and usually its recommended to have one volume/pool for maintenance sake, in which case you'd have 'volume' level snapshotting if it was on its own pool).

#4 has hardlinks, or so the way the documentation reads.

Novell Documentation
0 Likes
Mike021548141 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Enhancements to NSS

Hi,

Replies inline below the quotes,

kjhurni;2192869 wrote:
#2 is handled via Novell's archive and versioning add-on (it's included in OES).

Yes but that is not file system level, its an application that runs on a schedule to scan the file system for modified files and takes a copy of them. Rather than a file system level function (like Salvage) that is light weight, can act on an event rather than a schedule, and could store incremental changes (delta's). It also means no need for external databases etc...
It a little like comparing eDirectory to Active Directory, they are both hierarchal directory services but eDirectory gains a lot from having event and schedule based activities where Active Directory's schedule only design creates limitations.

kjhurni;2192869 wrote:
#3 I thought was already a capability of NSS but you had to enable it I believe (although only on a pool basis, and usually its recommended to have one volume/pool for maintenance sake, in which case you'd have 'volume' level snapshotting if it was on its own pool).

Agreed there are pool level snapshots but not volume. That's ok if you have one volume per pool but sometimes you find a server with many volumes (that you don't care about) on the same pool with important volumes that need this. Let's face it there are many server's in the world that are not built to the best spec's.
I don't see a reason there should not be file, volume and pool level snapshots?

kjhurni;2192869 wrote:
#4 has hardlinks, or so the way the documentation reads.

I had not come across this thanks, it is a pity its only hard links and requires Linux enabled users. Soft links evade the issues with hard links (inherited rights, IRF's, Savage and quota's changing "magically") so its great that hard links are there but it would be even better if they expanded upon it.

Thought of two more,
5) File system level HSM. Just a light weight HSM, something that says if the file is X and Y then move it from pool SAS to pool SATA while leaving behind a file stub. No need to go as far as Geo-HSM, or archive to tape etc...

6) We can assign FS rights to basically any object which is great but we only have two virtual objects [Public] for unauthenticated connections and [Root] for authenticated. It would be useful to be able to assign rights to the Creator as a virtual object. An example I've come across before, a class has a submissions folder. The teacher has full rights, the students have the right to create new work in the folder but do not have rights to anyone else's files in the submissions folder.
A virtual [Creator] object would allow the student to read, modify and delete their work if they wanted too.

Cheers,

MC

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.