Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Excel hangs on save

Hi:

I've got one XPpro sp3 PC, Office 2003 sp3, Novell client 4.91 sp5 talking to a NetWare 6.5 server.

On save from Excel, Excel becomes unresponsive. Can't even kill if from Task Manager. Requires a reboot.

User can open the spreadsheet from the server, make desired changes, save it locally the copy it back to the server.

User reports no other troubles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ssinghose;1850655 wrote:
Hi:

I've got one XPpro sp3 PC, Office 2003 sp3, Novell client 4.91 sp5 talking to a NetWare 6.5 server.

On save from Excel, Excel becomes unresponsive. Can't even kill if from Task Manager. Requires a reboot.

User can open the spreadsheet from the server, make desired changes, save it locally the copy it back to the server.

User reports no other troubles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve

What kind of rights does the user have to the directory? With Excel (and other office products) the process of saving a file actually involves a rename, delete, and another rename (or some bogus steps like that). I've seen where if a user didn't have erase and modify that the pc would hang like that.

I've also seen it with oes-1 and Office 2007, but that is a known bug, and doesn't affect (I don't think) NetWare.

Good luck,
Sam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ssinghose <ssinghose@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> I've got one XPpro sp3 PC, Office 2003 sp3, Novell client 4.91 sp5
> talking to a NetWare 6.5 server.
>
> On save from Excel, Excel becomes unresponsive. Can't even kill if
> from Task Manager. Requires a reboot.

A full-on hopeless deadlock does match one of the symptoms for an
issue resolved post-4.91 SP5, listed in the 491psp5_nwfs_5.zip readme
as: "2. Microsoft Word hangs when saving to a NetWare volume with
Symantec Antivirus installed. (Bug 423954)" and also "7. Microsoft
Office applications hang when saving from 4.91 SP5. (Bug 471049)".

So perhaps determine whether the issue remains after applying the
current 491psp5_nwfs_5.zip update.

Novell Client 4.91 Post-SP4, SP5 NWFS.SYS 5
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=hQA0hHnFiA0~
491psp5_nwfs_5.zip

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan.adams@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.