acshearer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

File System Migration error

Hello,

I am using the Novell Migration Tool to do some Server consolidation of files. My source server is SLES10Sp4/OES2sp3 and my target server is SLES11sp1/OES11. I have both servers authenticated and they are green in the tool. I then add the file system and configure it by dragging the folders I want to move to the target location on the right side. I then start the migration tool and I get these errors:

2015-03-16 15:34:19,789 INFO - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Information: nbackup: precomputing for displaying progress...
2015-03-16 15:34:19,876 FATAL - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Fatal: Cannot migrate source path /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education/: nbackup: Failed to open dataset /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education/ for backup
2015-03-16 15:34:19,877 WARN - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Warning: Going to next data set
2015-03-16 15:34:19,878 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: (libtsafs.so 6.50.0 291) An invalid path was used.
2015-03-16 15:34:19,900 FATAL - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Fatal: Cannot migrate source path /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/HotPotato-QuizMaker/: nbackup: Failed to open dataset /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/HotPotato-QuizMaker/ for backup
2015-03-16 15:34:19,901 WARN - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Warning: Going to next data set
2015-03-16 15:34:19,901 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: (libtsafs.so 6.50.0 291) An invalid path was used.
2015-03-16 15:34:19,925 FATAL - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Fatal: Cannot migrate source path /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/SH_Students/: nbackup: Failed to open dataset /media/nss/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/SH_Students/ for backup
2015-03-16 15:34:19,925 WARN - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Warning: Going to next data set
2015-03-16 15:34:19,925 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: (libtsafs.so 6.50.0 291) An invalid path was used.
2015-03-16 15:34:19,981 FATAL - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Fatal: nbackup command failed to complete
2015-03-16 15:34:19,981 INFO - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:
2015-03-16 15:34:19,982 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:migfiles command failed!
************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************

The paths are all correct and I checked to make sure the proper rights were the same on both volumes and they are. Does anyone know what could be causing these errors?

Thanks,
Andrew
Labels (1)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: File System Migration error

We had issues something similar, but not sure if it's the same issue.

There was an issue with a particular directory we had on some servers that refused to go over (we'd get errors). Turned out it was some vintage leftover from NW to OES2 and then it had a problem going to OES11 (we had 2 server hardware migrations in 7 or 8 years).

I don't recall if the bug was ever fixed (or if it was fixed, which codebase).

IF you can upgrade your TARGET server to OES11 SP2 I'd go that route first.

If not, you can try this (don't ask why, I don't remember)

On the source server, rename the directory to like:
SH_Students.old
Then rename it back again

But you have to do this from OES2 itself (ie, CLI or use Nautilus).
Then once you do that, RE-DO the project and maybe that'll work (ie, you can't just fire up the project and re-run the miggui, you have to get it to "re-see" the name).

There was some issue with the case and NCP showed case one way and the miggui saw it differently and it didn't like it.

Again, this may not be your exact issue, but I know we ran into it, just can't remember all the gory details.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

I tried the steps that you had and I still get the same errors in my original post. I cannot upgrade to OES11 SP2 at this time because my current backup solution version does not support that. I am changing backup solutions this summer so that will change, but that doesn't help now.

Does anyone else know anything I could try?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

If I run the nbackup command manually from the /opt/novell/sms/bin directory on the target server I get "nbackup: failed to open file /media/nss/apps/backup.sidf" which is consistent with my errors during migration.

Andrew
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

acshearer;2350058 wrote:
Hello,

I tried the steps that you had and I still get the same errors in my original post. I cannot upgrade to OES11 SP2 at this time because my current backup solution version does not support that. I am changing backup solutions this summer so that will change, but that doesn't help now.

Does anyone else know anything I could try?

Thanks,
Andrew

I think there's a debug log that may give more info. Maybe post a snippet of that?
I'm assuming your OES2 and OES11 SP1 machines are fully patched?
Is the source volume a DST-enabled volume by any chance?
--Kevin
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hi Kevin,

In my original post I posted a section of the migration log file. Is there another log file that I should check that you might want to see? The source volume is not DST-enabled I am sure. Where would I check that just to make certain? The target server is fully patched, the source server is patched up until a few months ago.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

acshearer;2350218 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

In my original post I posted a section of the migration log file. Is there another log file that I should check that you might want to see? The source volume is not DST-enabled I am sure. Where would I check that just to make certain? The target server is fully patched, the source server is patched up until a few months ago.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
So on the target server:

/var/opt/novell/migration
In there will be a folder with the name of your project (ie: NewProj0)
/var/opt/novell/migration/NewProj0/log

In the log subfolder is a debug.log

Usually that provides more information.

For checking DST/shadow volume:
On the SOURCE server, use NRM for that server, and select the:
View File System item on the left-hand side and expand it.
You want the: Dynamic Storage Technology Options
It'll show the volumes and whether or not they are shadowed

--Kevin
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hi Kevin,
DST/Shadow is not on for the volume.

Attached is the debug.log and the filesystem.log from the migration project folder.

Thanks,
Andrew

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

acshearer;2350262 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Attached is the debug.log and the filesystem.log from the migration project folder.

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm wondering if it *IS* the case bug. I see in your debug logs that one server reports a specific directory as upper case and the target does not. We ran into the same thing going from OES2 SP2 to OES11. (don't recall if the server in question was OES11 SP1 or not)--I bolded the directory that seems to be different:

2015-03-18 13:11:28,681 DEBUG - Drag and drop in progress: java.awt.dnd.InvalidDnDOperationException: Drag and drop in progress
2015-03-18 13:11:30,144 DEBUG - drop point /media/nss/STUDENTDATA/high-school/stu-lab-shared is directory? true
2015-03-18 13:11:30,144 DEBUG - Drop point could not be expanded;either already expanded or arrayoutofbound exception may come if source and dest folder are same
2015-03-18 13:11:30,163 DEBUG - Path of folder selected /NSS Volumes/STUDENTDATA/high-school/stu-lab-shared
2015-03-18 13:11:37,991 DEBUG - FileSystemDesign:volumeInformationOKButtonActionPerformed called
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - FileSystemDesign:saveInfo() called
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - FSD:setSourcePathForMigration DndTree.sourceArrayList.size():1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - item/var/opt/novell/migration/NewProj16/fs/mnt/source/DATA/STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - item in listDATA:STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - FSD:setSourcePathForMigration() - source Paths:1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - DATA:STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - FSD:setSourcePathForMigration DndTree.targetArrayList.size():1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,992 DEBUG - FSD:setTargetPathForMigration() - target Paths:1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,993 DEBUG - /media/nss/STUDENTDATA/high-school/stu-lab-shared/Discovery Education
2015-03-18 13:11:37,993 DEBUG - FS:SetValues: localFSProperties.sourcePaths: 1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,993 DEBUG - DATA:STU_LAB_SHARED/Discovery Education
2015-03-18 13:11:37,993 DEBUG - FS:SetValues: localFSProperties.targetPaths: 1
2015-03-18 13:11:37,993 DEBUG - /media/nss/STUDENTDATA/high-school/stu-lab-shared/Discovery Education

If it is, there were 3 workarounds we were given:
a. Try re-naming the STU_LAB_SHARED to stu-lab-shared on the source file system and re-start the migration. Will have to use native Linux CLI for this as NCP won't care.

A word of caution: if any application(s) is mapped or mounted to use /media/nss/whatever/STU_LAB_SHARED will be affected when renamed!!

(or)

b. Configure the Miggui project for the whole volume /media/nss/whatever, so that all folders along with shared will be copied.

(or)

c. Use Migration command line tool: migfiles for copying the files (skip Miggui)

--Kevin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

acshearer;2350262 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks,
Andrew

Oh, almost forgot:
The one directory that shows up UPPER CASE (STU_LIB_SHARED)?
Get to a Linux prompt (SSH/Terminal) and see what Linux thinks the case of that directory is.
ie:
ls -al /media/nss/WHATEVER/
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

I renamed the folder to be the same as the target and it still did not work. I then ran this command at the command line of the Target server:

migfiles -s <ipaddressofsource> -V DATA:/stu-lab-shared/SH_Students -x /media/nss/STUDENTDATA/high-school/stu-lab-shared -i

It failed with this message:

Cannot migrate source path /media/nss/DATA/stu-lab-shared/SH_Students/: nbackup: Failed to open dataset /media/nss/DATA/stu-lab-shared/SH_Students/ for backup...Warning: Going to next data set
Error: nbackup: (libtsafs.so 6.50.0 291) An invalid path was used
Fatal: nbackup command failed to complete.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Did you check if the service novell-smdrd is running on your server ?

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.