Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

File conflict Ruby on DSfW servers

Jump to solution

Anyone had same problem ?

Detected 1 file conflict:

File /usr/bin/gem
from install of
ruby2.1-2.1.9-19.3.2.x86_64 (OES2018-SP2-SLES12-SP5-Updates)
conflicts with file from package
rubygems-1.8.15-0.12.18.x86_64 (@System)

File conflicts happen when two packages attempt to install files with the same name but different contents. If you continue, conflicting files will be replaced losing the previous content.
Continue? [yes/no] (no): no

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: File conflict Ruby on DSfW servers

Jump to solution

Further feedback from SUSE Support:

This package: rubygems SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 1.8.15-0.14.1 is from SLES 11 and we believe this is what is causing the conflict.

Please try removing this package and then patching again. This is what I'm seeing from the supportconfig.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution
Workaround is instead of zypper up -y using yast online_update and unchecking update of ruby. They will probably solve this conflict sometime ...
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi David,

We have a customer reporting this exact same issue. I have logged a case with SUSE support relating to this specific issue.
I will update this thread once we get feedback.

Thank you for sharing the workaround.

Tarik
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

This is what SUSE have to say about it;

Usually when this happens you can verify the software levels in Yast. You should also be able to just select yes, and then continue on with patching/upgrading. I would snapshot just in case prior to doing this. You shouldn't have any issues though selecting yes there in your situation. On my SLES 12 SP3 I don't have any of the rubygems packages. Removing that package and then patching might do the trick as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have this on both OES 2018 SP2 servers. 

Suse is wrong, you can´t select yes. zypper up just stops and patch nothing. Only possible way is to exclude this patch from patching in Yast online_update . Both servers were in-place upgraded from OES 2015 SP1, maybe this is leftover from previous SLES version.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

It's from the SLES11 world and for sure is the same version which resides on an OES2015SP1 box which is patched to the top.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

FWIW, the relevant "conflicting" binary (/usr/bin/gem) has likely been overwritten by OES2018 anyway. If you compare "/usr/bin/gem -v"

OES2015SP1 patched to the top: 1.8.15

OES2018SP2 patched two weeks ago: 2.2.5

OES2018SP1 patched two minutes ago (overwriting): 2.7.10

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Further feedback from SUSE Support:

This package: rubygems SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 1.8.15-0.14.1 is from SLES 11 and we believe this is what is causing the conflict.

Please try removing this package and then patching again. This is what I'm seeing from the supportconfig.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.