Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

File locks moving between wired and wireless

Thought I would see if anyone has run into this and maybe save me some time.  Laptops connected to the network with a wired dock at user's desks.  When the users leave their desk with their laptop to go to a conference room, the laptop switches over to a wireless connection.  They are still logged in and this works fairly seamless.  The problem is that if the user has Word or Excel files open, they cannot work on them while on the wireless connection because the file is locked.  But what confuses the users is that their files are locked by themselves.  So something is getting confused in addition to the users.

Windows 10, OES2015 SP1, and Client NC2 SP4 IR8 if any of that matters.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
shesser Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: File locks moving between wired and wireless

Could NCP be opening the file again under the user connection? Have you tried taking a look at Remote Manager, Manage NCP Services, Manage Connections, find the users connection and see what files they show open? Just a stab in the dark at it
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I'll look into that next time I get to that site.  The problem is that I have two sites that should be setup identically.  I am at the main site and it works fine - I can't duplicate their problem.  So I need to wait until the next time I go to that site and can do some testing.  When I do, I will look in there and see if it points me anywhere. Thanks.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
shesser Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

My thinkology, they undock, no network connection. They then pickup the wireless connection causing a client auto reconnect in the back ground. NCP was still holding the file open after undocking/disconnect to begin with so maybe it's opening again in read only due to the reconnect?.  What happens if they close the file, go to the conf room and reopen? Of course it will probably be fine. I take it doesn't happen all the time and is not easy to recreate, correct? Like I said, far fetched :^)

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Laptops connected to the network with a wired dock at user's desks. When the users leave their desk with their laptop to go to a conference room, the laptop switches over to a wireless connection.

do they retain the same IP or does that change like I have seen in a number of locations.  I have fun bugging a client's IT manager about him sitting with two IPs, one for each NIC.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.