Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Firewall?

I have inherited a netware network. 3 servers, 1 is for GroupWise, 1 is for file serving and the 3rd?? Well it appears to be our firewall. It does a good job, but I have no idea how to configure it. I have been in inetcfg and I can't find anything for routing mail etc. Just static routes and a couple of NAT statements. Please help, is there something I am missing for firewall administration on Netware 6 SP5?

Thanks in advance
MO
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Firewall?

Hi,

monion wrote:
>
> I have inherited a netware network. 3 servers, 1 is for GroupWise, 1 is
> for file serving and the 3rd?? Well it appears to be our firewall. It
> does a good job, but I have no idea how to configure it.

Well, check in nwconfig, installed products. Is Bordermanager installed?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

mrosen;1726492 wrote:
Hi,

monion wrote:
>
> I have inherited a netware network. 3 servers, 1 is for GroupWise, 1 is
> for file serving and the 3rd?? Well it appears to be our firewall. It
> does a good job, but I have no idea how to configure it.

Well, check in nwconfig, installed products. Is Bordermanager installed?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
Untitled Document
0 Likes
Absent Member.

When I click on any of the 3 servers and goto border manager setup it says it is not installed on the server

There seems to be some remnants of version 3.7 in my nwconfig list, info says bordermanager was installed by the admin user back in 2003

There is a Translation from my GW server inside outside in inetcfg on the server in question., but nothing that I can find anywhere that makes mention of SMTP or port 25 anywhere....
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

monion wrote:
>
> When I click on any of the 3 servers and goto border manager setup it
> says it is not installed on the server
>
> There seems to be some remnants of version 3.7 in my nwconfig list,
> info says bordermanager was installed by the admin user back in 2003

Ok.

> There is a Translation from my GW server inside outside in inetcfg on
> the server in question., but nothing that I can find anywhere that makes
> mention of SMTP or port 25 anywhere....

Well, if there's a NAT entry for your server nothing else is needed to
make it reachable. Of course, that also means your whole server is
reachable on ever port.

Next question: Is ipflt and ipflt31 loaded on the "firewall".? If yes,
check in filtcfg.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hum.....Crash course here I guess.

There is a lot of good documentation on Bordermanager and configuring a Novell Server on the Novell web site, or at www.craigjconsulting.com. Criag has some great books for cheap as pdf's. BUY THEM. The $100 ish you spend will be well worth the savings in prescription anti-migraines 🙂

Netware 6.sp5 is a good start to figuring out what you have. My guess is since the server is that old and not updated that you are running a flavor of Bordermanager older than 3.9. With that, here is the starting point.

There are really 3 utilities for configuring netware/edirectory.

1. iManager. Uses Tomcat and Apache along with a bunch of NPM's Not needed for the version of BM you have (my guess)
2. ConsoleOne. You can find this on the server at \\server\sys\public\mgmt\ConsoleOne\1.2\bin\consoleone.exe This too relies on different types of snapins and was NEVER used to configure BM, but many other things. Keep this idea handy for your other administration.
3. NWAdmin. You can find this utility on a server at \\server\sys\public\win32\nwadm32.exe This utility too relies on yet different types of snapins and was the only utility used to configure Bordermanager for a very long time up until BorderManager 3.9, which you probably do not have.

Now this is important, all of the snapin for ConsoleOne and NWAdmin are specific to the server from where you launch the exe. So, if you want to see the BM stuff, you have to be on a server that has the appropriate snapins. I would suggest, as you are just getting your feet wet, opening the utility you need from the server that runs the product you are looking to configure. There is a better chance that the snapins were put there by the install utility. You can always install the snapins on any server or your local workstation if you wish. But this is to get you started.

Now, that you get the response that BM is not installed, that doesn't mean anything. Make sure when you are in NWAdmin that you click on the server object that you think is running. If you are positive that it is the server, my guess is that you have bordermanager installed but are not using it. From just about any server, at the console itself, you can run this command: INETCfg THis should share with you the status of your boards.

Now there is another command that you can run called Filtcfg from the console. This is a filter setting for the nics. Too much to talk about on how this works but if you are familiar with cisco, it is a lot like acl's

Finally, the command to make BM show up in nwadmin. Do an "EA" at the console. This brings up the autoexec.ncf for you to edit. Look through it and see if there is a statement in there like "Startbrd". It may have a REM in front of it. This is what starts the BM stuff.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Hope this helps.

Tom

>>> monion<monion@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 1/31/2009 11:36 AM >>>

I have inherited a netware network. 3 servers, 1 is for GroupWise, 1 isfor file serving and the 3rd?? Well it appears to be our firewall. Itdoes a good job, but I have no idea how to configure it. I have been ininetcfg and I can't find anything for routing mail etc. Just staticroutes and a couple of NAT statements. Please help, is there somethingI am missing for firewall administration on Netware 6 SP5?

Thanks in advance
MO-- monion------------------------------------------------------------------------monion's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10390View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358737
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.