Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Fixed leases and DHCP failover

Hi All,

I have a client which has fixed leases setup for most equipment (i know, i  know, why, don't ask ;-)), and only small pools for other purposes (new machine configs/wireless/walk'ins etc). After having a couple of issues with the DHCP server not starting overnight after scheduled reboots (I have spent hrs trying to diagnose), they have requested I setup the DHCP failover. Please confirm this for me, but from what I can see the DHCP failover only occurs for the DHCP pool level, and would not apply to replicating the fixed leases between the primary and backup/failover, meaning ALL the fixed leases (several hundred) would need to be replicated manually in the backup DHCP service as well as the primary. If so that sucks, and time for an enhancement request!

Thanks,

Mark Currie

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I'd rather cluster the DHCP service with NCS than use the "native" failover method.

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I beg to differ. While clustering DHCP does work, it's one of the more cumbersome service of all OES services to *properly* cluster. 

Native DHCP failover works fine, including fixed leases of course. All the config of DHCP comes from eDir, aka it's outright impossible to have different configs/settings on the two servers, unless you deliberately break eDir integration.

DHCP is one of the services I usually don't cluster, the other one being DNS. At least not in small two or three node clusters.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Totally agree that it's been significantly easier on NetWare, but once setup properly it simply works.

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

So does DHCP Failover, and in my experience keep working fine, whereas dhcp in NCS tends to "break" in odd ways, usually related to "forgotten" options for clustering during updates, or LUM/NAM issues, all that stuff. For instance, every OS service pack or major upgrade I've done so far has broken clustered DHCP (like, reconfiguring it to use the cluster node as DHCP server instead of the virtual server)
IMHO it's simply not worth the effort, and "normal" admins trying to cluster dhcp on OES fail in 99% to do it right (and keep it right), and end up with all sorts of odd issues should dhcp ever have to run on a secondary node.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.