shawniverson2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GRUB stage2 boot failure from OES2SP2 to OES2SP3

For anyone else that finds themselves in this situation....

After patching SLES in preparation for OES2SP3, the system failed to boot after rebooting. GRUB was updated.

A new stage2 file appeared in /boot/grub which was not in working condition.

I replaced the stage2 file with a known good copy from another server to get back up and running again. I used a SLES DVD in Rescue Mode to mount the volume and perform the repair.
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Reply
shawniverson2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GRUB stage2 boot failure from OES2SP2 to OES2SP3

shawniverson2;2088168 wrote:
For anyone else that finds themselves in this situation....

After patching SLES in preparation for OES2SP3, the system failed to boot after rebooting. GRUB was updated.

A new stage2 file appeared in /boot/grub which was not in working condition.

I replaced the stage2 file with a known good copy from another server to get back up and running again. I used a SLES DVD in Rescue Mode to mount the volume and perform the repair.

Whoops! Posted twice. On a slow link and the first post hung during submission.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.