michellem812 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Google nosslsearch CNAME entry

Does anyone have an entry setup in DNS (I'm running NAMED on NetWare 6.5 SP8) for nosslsearch.google.com? Google SafeSearch and SSL Search for Schools - Web Search Help has the instructions, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. I tried to add Google as a zone, then added a CNAME for nosslsearch.google.com, but then no one could get to Google (I think I am missing a forwarder). I have a DNS system setup fairly well with my internal domain, but adding this one for Google is not working for me, and I was hoping someone else had already done it and could tell me what I'm missing.

TIA,
Michelle
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Google nosslsearch CNAME entry

matt3680,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I worked around this by just adding a new zone for Google and setting the A record to the nosslsearch.google.com IP address (216.239.32.20). If the IP address changes I'll need to update it, but for now this works and I can block the SSL Google searches, which is how kids were bypassing the SafeSearch restrictions.

edit: I just realized that instead of an A record with the IP address, I could just add a CNAME record to nosslsearch.google.com and that would resolve the issue, regardless of whether or not Google changed their IP address. I did that (it deleted my A record since you can only have one or the other), and searches in Google were all still redirected to non-SSL Google, and SafeSearch is always on. Perfect!
0 Likes
dholland Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am not having an luck accomplishing this. Would it be possible for you or someone else to post a more step by step method. I am having an issue with creating the zone.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sorry, I just saw your post. Did you get this yet? Do you still need help? if so, I can help with a Windows Server 2012 DNS server, let me know if that's what you have and need instructions.
0 Likes
spashia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

michellem812;2311500 wrote:
Sorry, I just saw your post. Did you get this yet? Do you still need help? if so, I can help with a Windows Server 2012 DNS server, let me know if that's what you have and need instructions.

I am trying to do this same thing as well, but I don't think it's actually working. In my YAST dns settings, I have my reverse lookup and internal domain zones up and running. That all works fine. I then create a zone called google.com. In the google zone, I made a CNAME entry pointing www to nosslsearch. When I run nslookup for google.com, nothing changes and I get the non-authoritative reply of public IP addresses. Maybe I need clear the servers DNS cache and flush the DNS on the workstations before it will update?

Also, Will the rest of the google domains still use the external DNS forwarders for the rest of Google's sub domains such as images, drive, mail, etc?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.