Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Grandular Control over updating eDirectory.

I had this posed over in eDirectory-Linux and it was suggested that I post this over here so here we go.

I am migrating servers from Netware to Linux and we have various levels of eDirectory versions and I am now trying to update these to be at the same version (20219.15 8.88.SP5)

We have 3 Netware Servers that is going to be converted by the end of the year and these are our Master and R/W Replicas and it was then updated to eDIrectory 8.8.5 20219.15 not too long ago. I then proceeded to update a few Linux servers and got the versions to match successfully.

After Aug 19th the new updates in the Channel came up, I specifically unchecked these patches because I do not want the Linux Servers to have the newer version than the current Master R/W replicas. I applied the updates and when I rebooted the Linux Server shows eDirectory 8.8.5 20501.00 so that puts this Linux box at a newer version than what I wanted.

How do I specifically control the eDirectory patching on the servers? I used the Software Updater and I did look through the patches and checked the version tab and unchecked these if they were newer than what I wanted but that did not work.

Thanks,

Eric
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Grandular Control over updating eDirectory.

Eric,

we manage a edirectory with about 260+ server (Netware 5.1 - 6.0 - 6.5, OES 1 sp2, OES 2, OES 2 sp1). We have maybe 7 or 8 different edirectory versions in the tree. But of course we also try to have the Master at the highest level. It sometimes happen that server having just a read/write have a little bit higher version as the master have. But as long as they are on the same major/minor and service pack level like 8.8.5 I do not worry about.

The problem you might have expected here is that you deselected the edir patches, but some other packages you selected to be updated required those edirectory packages and therefor they were downloaded and installed automatically. That was done to resolve the dependencies for those other packages. But I think in this case you should get another screen after selecting the updates that shows you what other packages were installed to resolve those dependencies.

Can you remember such a screen and if so, did you check if you saw there the edir packages ?

Rainer
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Rainer,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did get the next screen and when I looked I didn't see anything that was obviously eDirectory related. I agree its a dependency resolution type of thing and It is possible that I did not look closely enough at the items in the list but it seemed to be "other stuff".
I will patch up another server later this week and pay more attention to the second screen and see what it says.
We've have had eDirectory issues before and when we called (or webchatted) support, they said to have the versions the same so my management is wanting eDIrectory to be the same.

Right now I have SLES10SP1 OES2, SLES10SP2 OES2SP1 and Netware 6.5 with versions 8.8.4 and 8.8.5 in the tree. The server that has the newer version than the Master Replica is not a Replica server. So basically I should work on at least having all of these at 8.8.5 and not worry too much about the actual versions? I'll talk with management and see if this would be acceptable.

Thanks again.

brunold;1856068 wrote:
Eric,

we manage a edirectory with about 260+ server (Netware 5.1 - 6.0 - 6.5, OES 1 sp2, OES 2, OES 2 sp1). We have maybe 7 or 8 different edirectory versions in the tree. But of course we also try to have the Master at the highest level. It sometimes happen that server having just a read/write have a little bit higher version as the master have. But as long as they are on the same major/minor and service pack level like 8.8.5 I do not worry about.

The problem you might have expected here is that you deselected the edir patches, but some other packages you selected to be updated required those edirectory packages and therefor they were downloaded and installed automatically. That was done to resolve the dependencies for those other packages. But I think in this case you should get another screen after selecting the updates that shows you what other packages were installed to resolve those dependencies.

Can you remember such a screen and if so, did you check if you saw there the edir packages ?

Rainer
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

So basically I should work on at least having all of these at 8.8.5 and not worry too much about the actual versions? I'll talk with management and see if this would be acceptable.

Yes, this is what I would try to do.
As we still have Netware 5.1 and 6.0, we cannot have them all on 8.8.5 but we are also working on bringing all other systems to that patch level.

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.