Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hardware

Looking at setting up a VM with around 20 TB of total space, purely for Novell stuff. I'm guessing

I'm thinking along the lines of 2 x HP Proliant 380e servers (128gb memory, and dual six or eight core CPU's in each server) connected to a MSA 2040 stacked full of 25 x 900GB disks. I'm assuming i'll have almost each service setup as it's own OES Server, so I can shutdown an individual service without it effecting any of the other services. So i'll put some services on each physical server, but if one has a hardware fault will keep them all going on the one server.

It will be running OES11 File Server / Groupwise / Mobility / ZenWorks / iPrint / DHCP / Filr / Vibe.

This will be for around 250 users is this a high enough spec system in general. Standard file server, mail etc... and half of them will also have a iphone or ipad synced via mobility, and going to be playing with vibe and filr for the first time.

In general am I looking at being in the right ball park with this sort of setup. I know it's a bit "how long is a piece of string" I'm just after a yeah that's the right sort of thing, or no that is way underspecced in the way of memory / cpu's.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why use VMs? If you have two physical servers then just cluster them.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2340471 wrote:
Why use VMs? If you have two physical servers then just cluster them.

Because for a starter the ability to add extra servers, for instance Filr / Vibe / Mobility as opposed to having to purchase extra servers to run these on.

We are trying to buy something now that will not need any more hardware expenditure for the next 3-5 years, except for maintenance etc..
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.