bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2897 views

Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

I am going to job Administration
restore
target service
my server name
enter username and password
session to restore
I pick yesterdays date log file
Advanced options
rename data sets
trying to restore the dat:/applic folder to alternate location
alternate location is dat:/users/bperrotta/restore
but it seems like sbackup is trying to restore the
entire volume not just the folder I want
I am also not sure what to pick for namespace
I picked the default dos
I am also unaware how to restore from tapes that i have
no log files for. Since someone was not changing the tapes the old data may be on one of the tapes with no log file.
also might have to restore from very old tape because I don't know exactly
when data in dat:/applic became corrupted
need help badly
Thanks,
Bill
Labels (2)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

I suggest you use a filter to limit what you restore. Also "DOS" is the
old 8.3 name format.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

I want to use a filter. I just have no idea how to.
That is why I am asking you. ok dos is an old format. I am trying to restore an old dos alpha4 database. should I use dos or another option.

need help



AndersG;1578635 wrote:
I suggest you use a filter to limit what you restore. Also "DOS" is the
old 8.3 name format.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> I want to use a filter. I just have no idea how to.
> That is why I am asking you. ok dos is an old format. I am trying to
> restore an old dos alpha4 database. should I use dos or another
> option.
>

OK. Assuming the files you want are called fudge1.dat, fudge2.dat etc.
Also assuming SBCON on 6.5, when creating the job, advanced options,
subets of what to restore:
+-----------------------------------------------------
¦ Subsets of What You Want to Restore
¦-----------------------------------------------------
¦ Include major TSA resources <Default>
¦ Exclude major TSA resources <Default>
¦ Include directories (full path) <Default>
¦ Exclude directories (full path) <Default>
¦ Include files <Default>
¦ Exclude files <Default>
¦ Include path/files <Default>
¦ Exclude path/files <Default>
+-----------------------------------------------------
Hit enter on include files:
+------------------------+
¦ Selection List Options ¦
¦------------------------¦
¦ ¦ ¦
+------------------------+
Ins
+----------------------+
¦ Namespace ¦
¦----------------------¦
¦ ¦DOS ¦
¦ ¦LONG ¦
¦ ¦MACINTOSH ¦
¦ ¦NFS ¦
+----------------------+
Select DOS
+------------------------------------
¦Enter the Data Set Name:FUDGE*.DAT
+------------------------------------

The DOS, LONG, MAC etc is what is called namespaces. One file can havd
diferent names, depending on what created it. Ie a file called
"Verylongfilename.txt" in the LONG NAMESPACE is called say VERYLONG.TXT
in the DOS namespace.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

AndersG;1578787 wrote:
Bperrotta,
> I want to use a filter. I just have no idea how to.
> That is why I am asking you. ok dos is an old format. I am trying to
> restore an old dos alpha4 database. should I use dos or another
> option.
>

OK. Assuming the files you want are called fudge1.dat, fudge2.dat etc.
Also assuming SBCON on 6.5, when creating the job, advanced options,
subets of what to restore:
+-----------------------------------------------------
¦ Subsets of What You Want to Restore
¦-----------------------------------------------------
¦ Include major TSA resources <Default>
¦ Exclude major TSA resources <Default>
¦ Include directories (full path) <Default>
¦ Exclude directories (full path) <Default>
¦ Include files <Default>
¦ Exclude files <Default>
¦ Include path/files <Default>
¦ Exclude path/files <Default>
+-----------------------------------------------------
Hit enter on include files:
+------------------------+
¦ Selection List Options ¦
¦------------------------¦
¦ ¦ ¦
+------------------------+
Ins
+----------------------+
¦ Namespace ¦
¦----------------------¦
¦ ¦DOS ¦
¦ ¦LONG ¦
¦ ¦MACINTOSH ¦
¦ ¦NFS ¦
+----------------------+
Select DOS
+------------------------------------
¦Enter the Data Set Name:FUDGE*.DAT
+------------------------------------

The DOS, LONG, MAC etc is what is called namespaces. One file can havd
diferent names, depending on what created it. Ie a file called
"Verylongfilename.txt" in the LONG NAMESPACE is called say VERYLONG.TXT
in the DOS namespace.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request


I think the files are 8.3 Dos truncated with .adb and .dbf extensions.
Still don't get it. can I go *.dbf *.adb? and restore all like files?
can I direct it to another folder other than the original.
And my other question. If I have some tapes I deleted the logs from can I still restore from those tapes and how?
0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

bperrotta;1578830 wrote:
I think the files are 8.3 Dos truncated with .adb and .dbf extensions.
Still don't get it. can I go *.dbf *.adb? and restore all like files?
can I direct it to another folder other than the original. meaning restore to an alternate location and not the original location?
And my other question. If I have some tapes I deleted the logs from can I still restore from those tapes and how?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> I think the files are 8.3 Dos truncated with .adb and .dbf extensions.
> Still don't get it. can I go *.dbf *.adb? and restore all like files?


Yes, just add two filtera for *.ADB and *.DBF

> can I direct it to another folder other than the original.


Yes. That is what I always do. I generally direct to another, scratch,
volume, just for safety.

> And my other question. If I have some tapes I deleted the logs from can
> I still restore from those tapes and how?


Yes. You do not need the logs, just select what session you want and use
a filter.


- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

AndersG;1578849 wrote:
Bperrotta,
> I think the files are 8.3 Dos truncated with .adb and .dbf extensions.
> Still don't get it. can I go *.dbf *.adb? and restore all like files?


Yes, just add two filtera for *.ADB and *.DBF

> can I direct it to another folder other than the original.


Yes. That is what I always do. I generally direct to another, scratch,
volume, just for safety.

> And my other question. If I have some tapes I deleted the logs from can
> I still restore from those tapes and how?


Yes. You do not need the logs, just select what session you want and use
a filter.


- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request


I also for got to ask. I know the Directory I want to restore.
can I restore a directory instead of wildcard filtering files?
and how?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> I also for got to ask. I know the Directory I want to restore.
> can I restore a directory instead of wildcard filtering files?
> and how?


Same way, essentially, but use a directory filter instead.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

It does not allow me to redirect to alternate dir in rename data sets
trys to restore everything again.
when I leave the defaults it fails.
hole in the head
using path/files to try and restore a directory


AndersG;1579530 wrote:
Bperrotta,
> I also for got to ask. I know the Directory I want to restore.
> can I restore a directory instead of wildcard filtering files?
> and how?


Same way, essentially, but use a directory filter instead.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> It does not allow me to redirect to alternate dir in rename data sets
> trys to restore everything again.
> when I leave the defaults it fails.
> hole in the head
> using path/files to try and restore a directory


If you have free space, then set up a scratch vol for restores. That
way, there is no risk involved even if you restore all. I can try to
duplicate later, but I no longer use Sbackup with my new system. It is
a virtual server, running Arcserve 11 for Linux.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Cool if you can duplicate it later try.
I am pulling out my hair for a solution.
Where do i redirect to the scratch folder
I could redirect to the apl volume since hardly anything is stored there
but have to check if it is big enough. I don't think i can resize with nssmu because all space is used i believe. Also probably not worth the risk of bringing everything down cause it is the main server. Another problem is on the general page it wants to be directed to a log file. I might not have the log files to all the tapes. I think it says something like first restore.
This predicament stinks.

Thanks for the help,
Bill

AndersG;1579940 wrote:
Bperrotta,
> It does not allow me to redirect to alternate dir in rename data sets
> trys to restore everything again.
> when I leave the defaults it fails.
> hole in the head
> using path/files to try and restore a directory


If you have free space, then set up a scratch vol for restores. That
way, there is no risk involved even if you restore all. I can try to
duplicate later, but I no longer use Sbackup with my new system. It is
a virtual server, running Arcserve 11 for Linux.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> Where do i redirect to the scratch folder
>

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Advanced Restore Options ¦
¦--------------------------------------------------------------------------¦
¦ Rename Data Sets: <Select to View> ¦

+---------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Restore data sets to different location ¦
¦---------------------------------------------------------¦
¦ Source Path Destination Path Namespace ¦
¦ ¦VOL1: ¦ VOL2: ¦ 0 ¦ ¦
+---------------------------------------------------------+

That will restore anything from VOL1 to VOL2

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
bperrotta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

AndersG;1580896 wrote:
Bperrotta,
> Where do i redirect to the scratch folder
>

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Advanced Restore Options ¦
¦--------------------------------------------------------------------------¦
¦ Rename Data Sets: <Select to View> ¦

+---------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Restore data sets to different location ¦
¦---------------------------------------------------------¦
¦ Source Path Destination Path Namespace ¦
¦ ¦VOL1: ¦ VOL2: ¦ 0 ¦ ¦
+---------------------------------------------------------+

That will restore anything from VOL1 to VOL2

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request


I just came up with a better safer idea. I have a spare 6.5 server with no data. You said earlier I can restore without the log files correct?
I will right down the partition information from the source 6.5 server but put the tapes in a different server and try to restore there.
That way if I need to delete or rersize volumes, i don't have to worry about screwing up the live server. If I don't remember the context I believe i can get it from console one right on the terminal correct?

Thanks again,
Bill
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Having trouble getting sbackup to selectively restore

Bperrotta,
> I just came up with a better safer idea. I have a spare 6.5 server with
> no data. You said earlier I can restore without the log files correct?


Yes.

> I will right down the partition information from the source 6.5 server
> but put the tapes in a different server and try to restore there.
> That way if I need to delete or rersize volumes, i don't have to worry
> about screwing up the live server. If I don't remember the context I
> believe i can get it from console one right on the terminal correct?


Not sure that I understand your question, but yes, restoring to a scartch
server should work just fine.


- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.