eschoo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here's a good one....

Using the iFolder 3.6.7240.1 client, I have one workstation that connects to my two separate iFolder servers without issue. However, same client version, same laptop type (right down to the hardware) when we connect that client to the second iFolder server on the next restart of the system it immediately loses any known connection to the original default server, and immediately begins synching all the folders that had originally connected to the first server to the second server.

The servers are running OES2 Linux (SLES 10). I cannot figure out why this one workstation does this every time. it's like it suddenly hates server 1 and only wants to talk to server 2. If I try to reconnect to server 1 through the accounts dialogue, it says an account alreay exists on the local machine. The only recovery method is to uninstall the client, reinstall it and let server 1 push the files back to the client workstation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric Schooley
Cheyenne, WY
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Here's a good one....

I'm thinking along these lines:

The problem client has stored incorrect information in some registry or
file entry somewhere, so that on a reboot, it is told to go to the
wrong server.

or

The problem server is picking up a URL that it incorrectly resolves to
the wrong server. (Perhaps a hosts file entry?)

Are you connecting by URL or ip address? What do you see in the client
entries for the ifolder server on each client? Any difference there?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
eschoo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One workstation (the one that works) connects by URL. The problem one has been connecting by IP address. Both workstations are building iFolder folders in the Application Data folders under both the user ID and All Users (since we allow iFolder to be used by anyone using the workstation).

I hadn't thought to check the HOSTS file, mostly because we don't generally use it to resolve host names, but it's possible the user has something in there. I also didn't consider that connecting by IP could be the issue, but it makes sense if it's having a problem doing a reverse lookup.

This is the second workstation this user has had that's had this issue, but each time we always connected to iFolder via IP not by URL, and I never made that connection until now. I'll check and see if going via URL makes the difference.

Thank you!
0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <eschoo.3jlenb@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Eschoo wrote:
> This is the second workstation this user has had that's had this issue,
> but each time we always connected to iFolder via IP not by URL, and I
> never made that connection until now. I'll check and see if going via
> URL makes the difference.
>

It may not be an issue with ip or URL, but it's something to check. In
any case, make sure you can resolve a URL to an IP address (ping it), and
probably make sure you can actually route to that IP address from the
problem PC as well, in case there is some weird routing issue.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.