Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

How does OES 2018 SP2 create home directories based on a user template?

Jump to solution

I am looking for more insights how (under what circumstances) OES 2018 SP2 creates home directories in the file system based on an eDirectory user template.

Situation

I am using IDM to create users in eDirectory and assign a user template when creating a user. The template defines the home directory but home directory does not created just on the template assignment.

When I tick the checkbox in IDM Filter to create the user home directory it works but in this case IDM seems to do the magic.

Complication

Customer plans to migrate to the bidrectional eDIrectory driver which supports the assignment of templates but since no Identity Manager is installed in the target eDirectory anymore IDM can't create the home directory it has to be done by some service running on OES.

My ask

I am not looking for fancy additional products to manage home directories like moving them around, etc. It's just about the way OES or one of its installed services does it out of the box if it can do so.

1. Since I can create a user based on a template without IDM, e.g. in iManager, how does OES pick up the home directory value and creates the directory in the file system? In the current installation at customer site it doesn't.
  2. Is there any API available to trigger the home directory creation?

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

AFAIK, there's never been an API call "create user from template". The code (from nwadmin via ConsoleOne to iManager) has to read all the configured stuff from the template object and act accordingly. In case of a homedir it has to read the hostserver attribute from the volume object, resolve the corresponding server's address, create the directory via NCP, set the rights a.s.o.

Must admit that the last time i took care of this was when we crafted a Banyan Vines to NetWare 5 migration tool in somewhat 1998, but i think it still holds true.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

AFAIK, there's never been an API call "create user from template". The code (from nwadmin via ConsoleOne to iManager) has to read all the configured stuff from the template object and act accordingly. In case of a homedir it has to read the hostserver attribute from the volume object, resolve the corresponding server's address, create the directory via NCP, set the rights a.s.o.

Must admit that the last time i took care of this was when we crafted a Banyan Vines to NetWare 5 migration tool in somewhat 1998, but i think it still holds true.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Thanks Mathias,

so the client program used to create the user or any 3rd party tool needs to do the job since nothing comes out of the box in OES itself.

Thanks for your help

Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I can think of using ldap command to create/modify users and their attributes if that works for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I think the OP talks about the "physical" creation of the homedirectory on the actual volume (as opposed to the attribute).

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.