greavette Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How does synchronization work?

Hello,

I can't quite figure out how the synchronization works on iFolder? I have the following setup:

ifolder 3.7 server at the office.
ifolder 3.7 client on a PC at the office.
ifolder 3.7 client on PC that is offsite.

I will be moving data to the ifolder folder on the PC at the office so it will be synced with the server. I then want the PC that is off-site to take these files from the server and copy them to the the remote PC.

Each night I will delete the files of the PC in the office and add new files. I want these old files removed from the server which will in turn remove them from the remote PC. The new files will then be synced with the server and then copied to the remote PC.

But...if I delete them from the PC at the office, won't the server see them on the remote PC and re-add them?

What do the sync times mean on each client and the server itself? What's the best times to put in...is 5 minutes too much (especially if I'm syncing GB's worth or data each night)?

Thanks very much for your help.
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How does synchronization work?

greavette,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello,

I can't quite figure out how the synchronization works on iFolder? I have the following setup:

ifolder 3.7 server at the office.
ifolder 3.7 client on a PC at the office.
ifolder 3.7 client on PC that is offsite.

I will be moving data to the ifolder folder on the PC at the office so it will be synced with the server.
Good! Additions, Deletions and changes to the local iFolder will be propagated to the server.

I then want the PC that is off-site to take these files from the server and copy them to the the remote PC.
Actually, the server notifies the iFolder clients of any Additions, Deletions and changes to files on the server and propagates all changes via the iFolder clients to the local iFolders on all the PC's.

Each night I will delete the files of the PC in the office and add new files. I want these old files removed from the server which will in turn remove them from the remote PC. The new files will then be synced with the server and then copied to the remote PC.
Yes. That is how it works.

But...if I delete them from the PC at the office, won't the server see them on the remote PC and re-add them?
No. The server knows that you deleted files from one of the local iFolders and will tell all the iFolder clients to delete those files from their respective local iFolders.

What do the sync times mean on each client and the server itself? What's the best times to put in...is 5 minutes too much (especially if I'm syncing GB's worth or data each night)?
The sync times specify how often the iFolder client and Server check to see if the folders need to be synchronized. If there is nothing to sync, there is no point having it check too frequently.

Thanks very much for your help.
You are welcome!
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
greavette Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks very much for this explanation and confirming for me that I'm using iFolder correctly.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.