Highlighted
ohico Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

How to move files on NSS64 volume and maintain compression?

We're restoring about 8TB to an NSS64 volume. The data's coming from a backup of another server's DST shadow volume and most of these files are compressed.
Our backup software is not restoring them to the correct location, it's sending this data to "/media/nss/...." path and I'll now need to move the data to the correct path on that volume.

The problem is that when I move the files they lose their compression and I'd like to them to stay compressed.

Is there a way to do this?
A simple cut/paste (ie. move) with Windows Explorer does not, I tried using "RoboCopy.exe /MOVE /S /E" same results.
I thought to use the OES server's "Migration Tool" but it only copies, there's no ability to move data on the same volume.

Thanks for any ideas.
Marc
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
davidkrotil Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: How to move files on NSS64 volume and maintain compressi

Have you looked on --delete switch ?

David
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: How to move files on NSS64 volume and maintain compressi

ohico;2471365 wrote:
We're restoring about 8TB to an NSS64 volume. The data's coming from a backup of another server's DST shadow volume and most of these files are compressed.
Our backup software is not restoring them to the correct location, it's sending this data to "/media/nss/...." path and I'll now need to move the data to the correct path on that volume.

The problem is that when I move the files they lose their compression and I'd like to them to stay compressed.

Is there a way to do this?
A simple cut/paste (ie. move) with Windows Explorer does not, I tried using "RoboCopy.exe /MOVE /S /E" same results.
I thought to use the OES server's "Migration Tool" but it only copies, there's no ability to move data on the same volume.

Thanks for any ideas.
Marc

Hi Marc,

Have you checked the OES 2015 SP1: Migration Tool Administration Guide?
Migrating Compressed Files
In any of the following scenarios compressed files are seamlessly migrated from source server to target server:

• Source server volumes and target server volumes both are compression enabled.
  • Source server volume is compression enabled and target volume is not enabled for compression. Migration gui uncompresses the migrated files on the target server volume.
  • Source server volume is not enabled for compression and target volume is compression enabled. Migration gui compresses the migrated files on the target server volume.

You should be able to migrate the files from where they were restored to where you want them. Of course, the destination volume has to have compression enabled or the files will be uncompressed after the move.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
G_ntherSchwarz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to move files on NSS64 volume and maintain compression?

On 12/09/2017 09:14 PM, ohico wrote:
> The problem is that when I move the files they lose their compression
> and I'd like to them to stay compressed.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
> A simple cut/paste (ie. move) with Windows Explorer does not, I tried
> using "RoboCopy.exe /MOVE /S /E" same results.

Did you try mv on the command line of the OES server? Should be the
fastest way to do this provided the data stays on the same volume.

Günther

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: How to move files on NSS64 volume and maintain compression?

On 09.12.2017 21:14, ohico wrote:
> Is there a way to do this?
> A simple cut/paste (ie. move) with Windows Explorer does not, I tried
> using "RoboCopy.exe /MOVE /S /E" same results.

Something is not operating normally here. A move within windows explorer
on the same volumes does *not* alter the compression status of files by
itself. I just tried this over and over, I can move files or whole
folder structures around limitlessly, they never uncompress.

Do you have AV software running on your server or your workstation that
touches network communication? Or do you have other software running
that "touches" the files while you access them?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.