Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1259 views

How to restart failed upgrade

I was in the middle of copying the files to upgrade a server to NW6.5 SP5
Overlay when the server locked up. Rebooted and it now thinks that it is
a NW6.5 Server, but hasn't been properly upgrade yet so it really wont
run. I cannot get StartX to load fully where I can do the install again,
I can't copy the files from NWConfig as DS is not loading and I get
caught in a loop when trying to do that...

HELP PLEASE! If you have any other ideas, I tried to re-install NW 5.1
SP7 which is what it was yesterday and because of eDirectory I cannot do
the install. I would rather not have to rely on my tape drive and do a
clean install. Any switches or tricks that I can try to get it to start
the install process again?!?

Thanks in Advance,
TIm

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to restart failed upgrade

Tim Thompson tthompson@nospam.k12.mi.us wrote:

> I was in the middle of copying the files to upgrade a server to NW6.5
> SP5 Overlay when the server locked up. Rebooted and it now thinks
> that it is a NW6.5 Server, but hasn't been properly upgrade yet so it
> really wont run. I cannot get StartX to load fully where I can do
> the install again, I can't copy the files from NWConfig as DS is not
> loading and I get caught in a loop when trying to do that...
>
> HELP PLEASE! If you have any other ideas, I tried to re-install NW
> 5.1 SP7 which is what it was yesterday and because of eDirectory I
> cannot do the install. I would rather not have to rely on my tape
> drive and do a clean install. Any switches or tricks that I can try
> to get it to start the install process again?!?


Try a down server upgrade:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10090315.htm


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to restart failed upgrade

> Tim Thompson tthompson@nospam.k12.mi.us wrote:
>
> > I was in the middle of copying the files to upgrade a server to NW6.5
> > SP5 Overlay when the server locked up. Rebooted and it now thinks
> > that it is a NW6.5 Server, but hasn't been properly upgrade yet so it
> > really wont run. I cannot get StartX to load fully where I can do
> > the install again, I can't copy the files from NWConfig as DS is not
> > loading and I get caught in a loop when trying to do that...
> >
> > HELP PLEASE! If you have any other ideas, I tried to re-install NW
> > 5.1 SP7 which is what it was yesterday and because of eDirectory I
> > cannot do the install. I would rather not have to rely on my tape
> > drive and do a clean install. Any switches or tricks that I can try
> > to get it to start the install process again?!?

>
> Try a down server upgrade:
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10090315.htm
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Edward


Edward,
Yeah I found that last night after posting this and it worked out this
morning for me. Not sure why they wanted you to write down the ServerID
as for me it never came into play.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to restart failed upgrade

Tim Thompson tthompson@nospam.k12.mi.us wrote:

> Yeah I found that last night after posting this and it worked out
> this morning for me. Not sure why they wanted you to write down the
> ServerID as for me it never came into play.
>
> Thanks for the help!


You're welcome

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.