Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1770 views

How to upgrade NetWare 6.0 to Novell Open Enterprise Server

Hi, this is for coursework. Does NetWare 6.0 have to be upgraded to NetWare 6.5 before to Novell Open Enterprise Server? Whats this thing about the support situation? Does this mean I should find a better solution?

Currently 64 desktop computers and is currently served by a Novell Netware 6
server infrastructure.

2000 pro workstations.
XP pro workstations.
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS workstations.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'll guess you mean OES on Linux, as NW 6.5 with later SPs is also called OES.

If so, according to this you can go straight from NW 6.0 to OEs2 one Linux.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What is a Linux kernel OES-Linux and Netware kernel OES-NetWare?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If I wanted to backup data would it only work on NetWare 6.5 because its the only one with support for USB storage devices?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Needforspeed,
> If I wanted to backup data would it only work on NetWare 6.5 because its
> the only one with support for USB storage devices?


NW 6.5 supports USB devices, but I would not use those for backup. I
prefer tape.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Netware kernel OES-NetWare

Just a re-description of good old NetWare. I think it was about SP5 they started labelling it OES. The idea was to ease transition to Linux.
Linux kernel OES-Linux

NetWare-equivalent servoces on Linux, so support for NCP, NSS, Novell DHCP and so on.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 26/06/2011 22:06, needforspeed wrote:

> Hi, this is for coursework.


For which course?
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Its for Foundation Degree ICT. I have to do a resit for the same coursework and they just change some things around and changed the server infrastructure to Novell Netware 6. Its for a 10 minute Presentation. The coursework is about 12 problems I have to give solutions to.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AndersG;2117438 wrote:
Needforspeed,
> If I wanted to backup data would it only work on NetWare 6.5 because its
> the only one with support for USB storage devices?


NW 6.5 supports USB devices, but I would not use those for backup. I
prefer tape.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms


On the coursework, it says its using Novell Netware 6. But then one of the problems say 'They currently back up 50GB of critical data to a portable hard drive once a month, which is then stored off site'.

Does this mean the coursework is wrong? Because USB storage devices are supported on 6.5 only?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Needforspeed,
> On the coursework, it says its using Novell Netware 6. But then one of
> the problems say 'They currently back up 50GB of critical data to a
> portable hard drive once a month, which is then stored off site'.
>
> Does this mean the coursework is wrong? Because USB storage devices are
> supported on 6.5 only?


No, there is nothing stopping you from backing up via a workstation...

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AndersG;2118996 wrote:
Needforspeed,
> On the coursework, it says its using Novell Netware 6. But then one of
> the problems say 'They currently back up 50GB of critical data to a
> portable hard drive once a month, which is then stored off site'.
>
> Does this mean the coursework is wrong? Because USB storage devices are
> supported on 6.5 only?


No, there is nothing stopping you from backing up via a workstation...

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms


How would I do that?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Needforspeed,
> How would I do that?


1. Connect USB-unit to PC
2. Copy files

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.