Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2471 views

Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Hi and thanks for your advice in advance. We want to replace an old SQUID
proxy server running on Red Hat that authenticates users in order to use the
internet. I have a co-worker that doesn't want to run it on Novell (any
flavor). My question is whether an HTTP proxy will run on OES Netware or
whether it will only run on OES Linux.

Whichever one it will run on, can you tell if it is a difficult
configuration or relatively easy and any links if you have them. Thanks
again.


John


Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT,
> Hi and thanks for your advice in advance. We want to replace an old SQUID
> proxy server running on Red Hat that authenticates users in order to use the
> internet. I have a co-worker that doesn't want to run it on Novell (any
> flavor). My question is whether an HTTP proxy will run on OES Netware or
> whether it will only run on OES Linux.


Any proxy that can use LDAP for authentication would do.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

That sheds little light for me. Can you fatten your comment a little -
anyone else?


John


"Anders Gustafsson" <dalton@nomail.to.me> wrote in message
news:VA.000017c1.0068be24@nomail.to.me...
> Edscha IT,
>> Hi and thanks for your advice in advance. We want to replace an old
>> SQUID
>> proxy server running on Red Hat that authenticates users in order to use
>> the
>> internet. I have a co-worker that doesn't want to run it on Novell (any
>> flavor). My question is whether an HTTP proxy will run on OES Netware or
>> whether it will only run on OES Linux.

>
> Any proxy that can use LDAP for authentication would do.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> NSC Volunteer Sysop
> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT,
> That sheds little light for me. Can you fatten your comment a little -
> anyone else?
>

OK. The specifics would depend very much on the proxy used. How many users
are we talking about?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

About 60 users, all on the same subnet and all currently authenticating to
the squid proxy server on Linux. We want to be able to use Edirectory
usernames/passwords as opposed to the current system with totally separate
accounts. In other words, leverage Novell/Edirectory.

Currently running 8.7.3.5


John

"Anders Gustafsson" <dalton@nomail.to.me> wrote in message
news:VA.000017c3.009f5026@nomail.to.me...
> Edscha IT,
>> That sheds little light for me. Can you fatten your comment a little -
>> anyone else?
>>

> OK. The specifics would depend very much on the proxy used. How many users
> are we talking about?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> NSC Volunteer Sysop
> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT,
> We want to be able to use Edirectory
> usernames/passwords as opposed to the current system with totally separate
> accounts. In other words, leverage Novell/Edirectory.
>

OK. Does this help?

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/5750.html

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

That will help to get my reluctant co-worker to get a clue. Thanks!!!


John

"Anders Gustafsson" <dalton@nomail.to.me> wrote in message
news:VA.000017c4.00b6fa33@nomail.to.me...
> Edscha IT,
>> We want to be able to use Edirectory
>> usernames/passwords as opposed to the current system with totally
>> separate
>> accounts. In other words, leverage Novell/Edirectory.
>>

> OK. Does this help?
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/5750.html
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> NSC Volunteer Sysop
> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT wrote:

> Hi and thanks for your advice in advance. We want to replace an old
> SQUID proxy server running on Red Hat that authenticates users in
> order to use the internet. I have a co-worker that doesn't want to
> run it on Novell (any flavor). My question is whether an HTTP proxy
> will run on OES Netware or whether it will only run on OES Linux.


Use Ander's coolsolution article and run squid on SLES 9. Co-worker
happy, you happy 🙂


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

It will run OES Linux though right, for the edirectory authentication?? Or
are you saying to run on it SLES without Edirectory and use LDAP for
authentication. I really wanted use OES linux to get our feet wet with that
product.

John


"Edward van der Maas" <edmaa_remove_this!@and+_this!@myrealbox.com > wrote
in message news:94HYf.1826$5g7.1247@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Edscha IT wrote:
>
>> Hi and thanks for your advice in advance. We want to replace an old
>> SQUID proxy server running on Red Hat that authenticates users in
>> order to use the internet. I have a co-worker that doesn't want to
>> run it on Novell (any flavor). My question is whether an HTTP proxy
>> will run on OES Netware or whether it will only run on OES Linux.

>
> Use Ander's coolsolution article and run squid on SLES 9. Co-worker
> happy, you happy 🙂
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Edward



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT,
> It will run OES Linux though right, for the edirectory authentication?? Or
> are you saying to run on it SLES without Edirectory and use LDAP for
> authentication. I really wanted use OES linux to get our feet wet with that
> product.
>

Does not matter. Have Squid authenricate to eDir wither on OES Linux or OES NW.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

I'm sorry - what I mean was, if Squid is installed on OES Linux with EDIR,
it could authenticate to EDIR on the very same server.

John

"Anders Gustafsson" <dalton@nomail.to.me> wrote in message
news:VA.000017d4.00b306a0@nomail.to.me...
> Edscha IT,
>> It will run OES Linux though right, for the edirectory authentication??
>> Or
>> are you saying to run on it SLES without Edirectory and use LDAP for
>> authentication. I really wanted use OES linux to get our feet wet with
>> that
>> product.
>>

> Does not matter. Have Squid authenricate to eDir wither on OES Linux or
> OES NW.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> NSC Volunteer Sysop
> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Http Proxy Server - Is it possible

Edscha IT,
> if Squid is installed on OES Linux with EDIR,
> it could authenticate to EDIR on the very same server.
>

Yes.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.