ecman2008 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING !!!!

All was going fine with my Novell 6.5 server when suddenly no one could log on. I decided the NIC was bad, got a new one and I can't figure out how to even begin to install it.
Is there anyone out there that can help ?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING !!!!

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

What makes you think that the NIC went bad? Could you still ping the server? Are there any error messages on the server console giving you any clues as to why people can't login.

INETCFG is the utility that you use to configure network boards and network related services. See this documentation reference: https://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/os_util_nw/data/hnbvotqk.html

Please do let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yup...you really did not supply us with much information to go on here. Please be as complete as possible when describing a problem and what process and tasks you have already done..

--El

laurabuckley;2397325 wrote:
Hi,

What makes you think that the NIC went bad? Could you still ping the server? Are there any error messages on the server console giving you any clues as to why people can't login.

INETCFG is the utility that you use to configure network boards and network related services. See this documentation reference: https://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/os_util_nw/data/hnbvotqk.html

Cheers,

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
ecman2008 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2397325 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,

Laura:

Thanks SO much for your reply.
I decided the board was bad because I changed cables, and eventually eliminated the router and went directly to a workstation and still was not able to log on or even "SEE" the server.
I don't know how to ping the server and feel ignorant when it comes to determining what IP address "belongs" where. I just learned yesterday that the IP address has EVERYTHING to do with telling the server
where to look (RIGHT ???)
Today, I read the DOC you referred and was able to get into InetCFG. I thought I configured the board, but upon restart, I still can't see it. I tried "SCAN FOR NEW DEVICES" and nothing happens.
So, I just guessed that the new board was in a different slot number.

Anyway, I'll keep reading.

Thanks again for your assistance and if you have the patience, please give me more direction.

Neil
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Neil,

In future to determine where an IP packet is "dying" on your network use the following command from a command prompt on a workstation that is unable to connect to your server: tracert IPOFSERVER
The output will show each hop/router the packet is taking to get to your server. This will show if a switch or router is down, or indeed the server is not responding.

It's been a very long time since I worked on NetWare so let me get back to you with the steps to install a new network card.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
ecman2008 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2397379 wrote:
Hi Neil,

In future to determine where an IP packet is "dying" on your network use the following command from a command prompt on a workstation that is unable to connect to your server: tracert IPOFSERVER
The output will show each hop/router the packet is taking to get to your server. This will show if a switch or router is down, or indeed the server is not responding.

It's been a very long time since I worked on NetWare so let me get back to you with the steps to install a new network card.

Cheers,

Laura:

Thanks again for your assistance. I appreciate it GREATLY !!!

I tried "tracert IPOFSERVER" from a WS and the response was "Unable to resolve target system name IPOFSERVER.

Neil
0 Likes
jortman83 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Neil,

tracert IPOFSERVER you will replace IPOFSERVER with the actual IP address of the server. Example tracert 192.168.1.1

Thanks, John
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.