Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

ID Transfer and changing IP's

I've not tried this but hopefully someone has an answer

Normally when you are going to install an OES2 SP1 server for identity transfer, you select pre-migration server, install into the existing eDir tree and context as the "source" NetWare server, but give the OES2 server a temporary name.

Obviously it has a name and IP address at configuration time.

What if you change the IP before the ID transfer?

Basically I'd like to setup the server in our main office to get it into the tree and fully patched and then ship it out to the regional office. But doing that would require that i change it's IP after installation, but BEFORE the transfer.

I'm not sure if the ID transfer scripts require the IP to be the same when they run the changeip stuff.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ID Transfer and changing IP's

Well, if you change the IP address before the ID transfer, you have to make really sure it is changed in all possible configuration files. In fact, the ID trasnfer script does an IP address change by searching for the old address and replacing it by the new one. If the old address is not the same in all configuration files, then the address change will not update the configuration files where the IP address is different.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks, that's what I kinda thought might happen. I suppose I will test and see what happens. Maybe run the change ip script manually (it's somewhere in the docs as I remember coming across it before) and then do the migration and let it change it again.

testing things in the test lab first.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni wrote:
> Thanks, that's what I kinda thought might happen. I suppose I will test
> and see what happens. Maybe run the change ip script manually (it's
> somewhere in the docs as I remember coming across it before) and then do
> the migration and let it change it again.
>
> testing things in the test lab first.
>
>

Yes. You can use the IP change scripts that come with Migration Tools to
change the IP address. The list of scripts that needs to be executed are
documented in Admin guide at the following location.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/mig_tools_lx/index.html?page=/documentation/oes2/mig_tools_lx/data/bgc4dpv.html

We have not tested this scenario. But, i do not see any reason for
failure. Keep us posted on the results.

regards
Praveen Kumar S
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.