Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Installing second dhcp/dns server

I have a two node eDirectory environment.  One server is at OES2018 SP2 while the other server is still at SLES 11 SP4 / OES 2015 SP1.  The OES 2015 SP1 server has an OES DHCP and DNS server running on it while the OES 2018 server doesn't.  Before I migrate the OES 2015 server to 2018 SP2, I want to add a second DNS/DHCP server running on the OES 2018 server.  I have read the docs but they are not not clear (at least to me) on some of issues.

1.  On the OES 2015 server, the previous consultant had both an OES DHCP server installed as well as the SLES DHCP server.  They claimed both had to be installed and running.  My understanding is that just the OES DHCP server is needed for DHCP for the network, is that correct?

2. When starting the install of the DHCP server on the OES 2018 server, there are a number of parameters that Yast asks for during the install.  The DHCP Server Context, Locator context and group context - can they be the same as the DHCP server that is already running on the OES 2015 server?

3. Can I just install DNS without DHCP on the OES 2018 server or doe they have to be installed together?

4. For the runtime credentials of the DHCP server, I assume that the OES 2015 DHCP server has runtime credentials but I don't know what they are.  Can I have different runtime credentials for the OES 2018 DHCP server?

5.  Is there any way to just copy or duplicate the DHCP and DNS server on the OES 2015 server to the OES 2018 server?  Basically I just want redundancy for these two services so if a server is down, I still have DHCP and DNS.

thanks,

Dan

Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

It's as simple as you think.

A: you can have two dns servers, just let yast fetch the dns parameters from the other server and let yast create the dns server.

B: Do exactly the same for dhcp, let yasy fetch the parameters.

In the dns/dhcp console, you can select which server is running dhcp in the dhcp tab, just select the new one. stop dhcp on the old server and start it at the new server.

Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks, Alex.  just to be clear, to install DNS on the 2018 SP2 server, I load Yast, then go to Network Services, then click 'DNS Server'?  The prompts here don't agree with what I read in the "OES 2018 SP2: DNS/DHCP Services for Linux Administration guide".

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

You need to configure  dns and dhcp from the oes installation and configuration option in yast2:

twslex3_0-1590697051645.png

select novell dhcp and novell dns

twslex3_1-1590697168798.png

after accept, for dns thick the get context

twslex3_2-1590697288716.png

Have got the scfreens shots for dhcp, but you should be able to fetch with a tickbox and entering the existing dhcp server

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

One god, one country, one wife, one DHCP server instance per box.

Yep. Anything other will likely harm.

No need to install both of them if you just need one.

You should use the CommonProxyUser, which is server-centric. So don't select another server's CommonProxyUser.

It's always wise to have at least two DNS instances running which serve the same subnets. For DHCP it's somewhat more complicated in a non-cluster offset. You'd need to configure e.g. split-subnets or create a failover peer offset. Please note that dynamic leases aren't stored in eDir with OES Linux, so if you have a DHCP server running "on standby", it won't be aware of existing dynamic leases if you let it take over manually.

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks a lot.  I followed your info and was able to install both DNS and DHCP.  When installing DHCP I got the error that there was a conflict with pattern:novell-dhcp-12.1-43.1x86_64.  I chose the conflict resolution to deinstall dhcp-client-4.3.3-10.16.4.x86_64.  I have seen these messages before and it is VERY confusing.  There is no info on what the 'normal' or 'correct' thing is to do and no info on what the ramifications are of any of the choices.  I have attached a screen shot.  Notice how in this day and age, MicroFocus can't wrap the text of the error to fit in the window and/or can't make the window resizeable so you can see the whole error.  I think that is ridiculous.

Also, after the install, I was able to find novell-named in Services Manager and enable it so it starts when the server starts.  I did not see a similar 'novell-dhcpd' option.  There is a service called 'dhcpd' and the description is "ISC DHCPv4 Server".  Is this the native Linux DHCP or is this the OES DHCP that I just installed???  It is currently disabled.

Also, with DHCP, I wouldn't want two DHCP servers handing out IP addresses at the same time, would I?  Don't I have to have one DHCP server hand out IP addresses in one range and the other hand out IP addresses in another range?  We are using a class C subnet in our office. Or does the fact that these are integrated with eDir make it so both DHCP servers could be active?

My overall goal is to make it so I can take one server down and users can still get an IP address and still have DNS functioning.

Thanks,

dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

The conflict is a result of having BOTH SLES and OES DHCP patterns installed on the source box. The decision how to handle this is up to the admin (an installation script should never do this, how can it know what YOU want..). And your decision was perfectly fine as you now have "novell-oes-dhcp-client" installed.

As for the daemon name: it's the correct one. rcnovell-dhcpd starts "/usr/sbin/dhcpd".

As for the rest: see my other post. You don't want to have two instances servicing the same pool without further configuration. This one should give you an idea regarding failover peers.

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7004294

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks Mathais. That makes sense.  I have the DHCP server on the second box installed but not running.  Do you know what an OES DHCP server should show up as in the Run Services app?  I can't find it.

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

In the dns/dhcp console you can select which server is your dhcp server:

twslex3_0-1590775994719.png

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@dch151 wrote:

Thanks Mathais.

Hi Dan,

Mathias is a big help with OES issues. The appropriate way to say "thanks" is to use the "Like" button on each post you find helpful. To help other community members zero in on the correct solution, if one has been provided, we'd appreciate it if you would select the most appropriate post and choose "Accept as Solution".

Thank you for participating in these forums.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Do you mean "yast -> system -> services manager"? It'll likely show up twice as

"dhcpd" and "dhcp-server".

systemctl enable dhcpd

will do anything you need and take care of both.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.