Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2134 views

Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

The internal dns-server got the same domain-name as an
foreign external website.

Now when employees try to access the external website
host-name-resolution fails. The external website is out of
my control, changing the internal domain-name no really
option, is there a trick how to deal with this?

Sincerely

Karl



Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

You need to create an A record for the external site you want to
access. You'll need to do this for every external address in that
domain that you need to resolve, and the fun part is that if those
addresses change, you need to manually update your own DNS with the
changes, once you determine what they are.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

youve got apache, bring web hosting internal 🙂

--
Thanks,
Keith V. Klenke
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.abend.org Giving Novell that "slash" feeling
--------------------------------------------------


<kkunze@kunze-stade.de> wrote in message
news:msuMb.11446$VM1.9903@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> The internal dns-server got the same domain-name as an
> foreign external website.
>
> Now when employees try to access the external website
> host-name-resolution fails. The external website is out of
> my control, changing the internal domain-name no really
> option, is there a trick how to deal with this?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Karl






0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Antw: Re: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

Created an A record in the dns-zone (no host-name, just the
ip) but it still did not work. Browser says

Status : 502 Bad Gateway
Description : DNS Host name resolution failed. (www
Note : If necessary, please contact your Systems
Administrator for resolution.

Any further hints or ideas?

Sincerely

Karl


>>> Brad Doster<bd@NSCSysOps.net> 12.01.2004 15:09:51 >>>

>You need to create an A record for the external site you
>want to
>access. You'll need to do this for every external address
>in that
>domain that you need to resolve, and the fun part is that
>if those
>addresses change, you need to manually update your own DNS
>with the
>changes, once you determine what they are.
>
>bd
>NSC Volunteer SysOp
>www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Antw: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

In article <_gOMb.12466$VM1.2985@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote:

> Created an A record in the dns-zone (no host-name, just the
> ip) but it still did not work.
>

You need to put a host name in.

> Description : DNS Host name resolution failed. (www
>

Looks like 'www' is the hostname you need.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Antw: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

It works. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely

Karl

>>> Brad Doster<bd@NSCSysOps.net> 13.01.2004 14:53:12 >>>

>In article
><_gOMb.12466$VM1.2985@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
>wrote:
>> Created an A record in the dns-zone (no host-name, just

>the
>> ip) but it still did not work.
>>

>You need to put a host name in.
>
>> Description : DNS Host name resolution failed. (www
>>

>Looks like 'www' is the hostname you need.
>
>bd
>NSC Volunteer SysOp
>www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Antw: Internal DNS-Domainname identical to external domain

Glad to help.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.