farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Internally hosted server getting external IP in DNS

It's been a while since I have messed with Novell DNS to any extent. I have done this with MS DNS.

We use lawson.k12.mo.us for our internal domain. We are adding lawsoncardinals.org for all of our external domains.

If I ping filr.lawsoncardinals.org, I get no response internally and it's using the external IP. Everything works fine externally for filr.lawsoncardinals.org and using our old domain name, both inside and out.

Not sure what I'm missing.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Internally hosted server getting external IP in DNS

farmersLSD;2420085 wrote:
It's been a while since I have messed with Novell DNS to any extent. I have done this with MS DNS.

We use lawson.k12.mo.us for our internal domain. We are adding lawsoncardinals.org for all of our external domains.

If I ping filr.lawsoncardinals.org, I get no response internally and it's using the external IP. Everything works fine externally for filr.lawsoncardinals.org and using our old domain name, both inside and out.

Not sure what I'm missing.

Firewall rule maybe, internal clients are not able to talk to filrs external IP?

Thomas
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

That is something I didn't think about, but filr.lawson.k12.mo.us works internally and externally, however, filr.lawsoncardinals.org, does not. It's the same server, so the same firewall rules would apply, correct?

The difference is that our DNS domain is lawson.k12.mo.us, so it finds the A record in DNS and uses the internal IP (I assume). Our added domain is lawsoncardinals.org, but the primary domain is off-site hosted and we are just hosting sub-domains which would be our hosted servers. This filr server is just the beginning if we add iPrint, etc..

So I'll have to get this figured out.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

farmersLSD;2420176 wrote:
That is something I didn't think about, but filr.lawson.k12.mo.us works internally and externally, however, filr.lawsoncardinals.org, does not. It's the same server, so the same firewall rules would apply, correct?

The difference is that our DNS domain is lawson.k12.mo.us, so it finds the A record in DNS and uses the internal IP (I assume). Our added domain is lawsoncardinals.org, but the primary domain is off-site hosted and we are just hosting sub-domains which would be our hosted servers. This filr server is just the beginning if we add iPrint, etc..

So I'll have to get this figured out.

The same firewall rules do not apply if filr.lawson.k12.mo.us resolves to an internal IP and filr.lawsoncardinals.org resolves to an external IP for your internal clients... But if both filr.lawson.k12.mo.us and filr.lawsoncardinals.org resolves to the same IP on your internal devices then FW rules are not the problem.

Thomas
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

filr.lawson.k12.mo.us resolves to our internal IP, because we have a DNS entry pointing that that server internally, because our internal domain is lawson.k12.mo.us. I created another zone for lawsoncardinals.org and have an internal entry for filr.lawsoncardinals.org, but still tries to use the external IP.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

farmersLSD;2421175 wrote:
filr.lawson.k12.mo.us resolves to our internal IP, because we have a DNS entry pointing that that server internally, because our internal domain is lawson.k12.mo.us. I created another zone for lawsoncardinals.org and have an internal entry for filr.lawsoncardinals.org, but still tries to use the external IP.

Have you checked that the client queries the internal dns server?

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.