Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2166 views

Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Okay, this is very very strange.

Let me first explain my drive mappings

c:/ HDD
D:/ DVD/CD
e:/ DVDRW
F:/ Netwareserver/home
g:/ Netwareserver/
h:/ Win2k box
and so on

Z:/ 🙂

Okay, so i plugged in my ipod to just do a standard update, I notice it
writing to f:/ netware server/Home/
I was like $%^&!!! So i disconnected it.

I disconnedted the drive mapping to f:/ netware server/home/ and now it
is loading the ipod properly.

anyone know what could be the cause of this?

One more thing.... conspiracy theory perhaps? I think M$ is up to
something because I can now see my ipod in windows explorer but that was
never the case. Perhaps a recent update did this?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Greg B. wrote:
> Okay, this is very very strange.
>
> Let me first explain my drive mappings
>
> c:/ HDD
> D:/ DVD/CD
> e:/ DVDRW
> F:/ Netwareserver/home
> g:/ Netwareserver/
> h:/ Win2k box
> and so on
>
> Z:/ 🙂
>
> Okay, so i plugged in my ipod to just do a standard update, I notice it
> writing to f:/ netware server/Home/
> I was like $%^&!!! So i disconnected it.
>
> I disconnedted the drive mapping to f:/ netware server/home/ and now it
> is loading the ipod properly.
>
> anyone know what could be the cause of this?
>
> One more thing.... conspiracy theory perhaps? I think M$ is up to
> something because I can now see my ipod in windows explorer but that was
> never the case. Perhaps a recent update did this?


USB drives always try to grab the first drive letter not assigned to a
local disk.

I'm on WinXpSP2 and my IPOD only shows up as the drive letter I assigned
to it, but I only patch my system via shavlik patch manager - never use
Windows update.

To change the drive letter...
Rt-click 'My Computer' and Select 'Manage'
Click on 'Disk Management'
Rt-click 'IPOD (F:)' and select 'Change Drive Letters and Path'
Change to whatever drive letter you like

or

try the USB Drive Letter tool
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/d3.php?s=tools.15928.coolsolutions.xml
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Steven Wilson wrote:
> Greg B. wrote:
>
>> Okay, this is very very strange.
>>
>> Let me first explain my drive mappings
>>
>> c:/ HDD
>> D:/ DVD/CD
>> e:/ DVDRW
>> F:/ Netwareserver/home
>> g:/ Netwareserver/
>> h:/ Win2k box
>> and so on
>>
>> Z:/ 🙂
>>
>> Okay, so i plugged in my ipod to just do a standard update, I notice
>> it writing to f:/ netware server/Home/
>> I was like $%^&!!! So i disconnected it.
>>
>> I disconnedted the drive mapping to f:/ netware server/home/ and now
>> it is loading the ipod properly.
>>
>> anyone know what could be the cause of this?
>>
>> One more thing.... conspiracy theory perhaps? I think M$ is up to
>> something because I can now see my ipod in windows explorer but that
>> was never the case. Perhaps a recent update did this?

>
>
> USB drives always try to grab the first drive letter not assigned to a
> local disk.
>
> I'm on WinXpSP2 and my IPOD only shows up as the drive letter I assigned
> to it, but I only patch my system via shavlik patch manager - never use
> Windows update.
>
> To change the drive letter...
> Rt-click 'My Computer' and Select 'Manage'
> Click on 'Disk Management'
> Rt-click 'IPOD (F:)' and select 'Change Drive Letters and Path'
> Change to whatever drive letter you like
>
> or
>
> try the USB Drive Letter tool
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/d3.php?s=tools.15928.coolsolutions.xml



Most excelent. So that will work with cameras and anything i assume? I
will have a fun day plugging in all my USB goodies and re-assigning them
drive letters.

Thanks for your suggestions.
greg
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Greg B. wrote:
> Steven Wilson wrote:
>
>> Greg B. wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, this is very very strange.
>>>
>>> Let me first explain my drive mappings
>>>
>>> c:/ HDD
>>> D:/ DVD/CD
>>> e:/ DVDRW
>>> F:/ Netwareserver/home
>>> g:/ Netwareserver/
>>> h:/ Win2k box
>>> and so on
>>>
>>> Z:/ 🙂
>>>
>>> Okay, so i plugged in my ipod to just do a standard update, I notice
>>> it writing to f:/ netware server/Home/
>>> I was like $%^&!!! So i disconnected it.
>>>
>>> I disconnedted the drive mapping to f:/ netware server/home/ and now
>>> it is loading the ipod properly.
>>>
>>> anyone know what could be the cause of this?
>>>
>>> One more thing.... conspiracy theory perhaps? I think M$ is up to
>>> something because I can now see my ipod in windows explorer but that
>>> was never the case. Perhaps a recent update did this?

>>
>>
>>
>> USB drives always try to grab the first drive letter not assigned to a
>> local disk.
>>
>> I'm on WinXpSP2 and my IPOD only shows up as the drive letter I
>> assigned to it, but I only patch my system via shavlik patch manager -
>> never use Windows update.
>>
>> To change the drive letter...
>> Rt-click 'My Computer' and Select 'Manage'
>> Click on 'Disk Management'
>> Rt-click 'IPOD (F:)' and select 'Change Drive Letters and Path'
>> Change to whatever drive letter you like
>>
>> or
>>
>> try the USB Drive Letter tool
>> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/d3.php?s=tools.15928.coolsolutions.xml
>>

>
>
>
> Most excelent. So that will work with cameras and anything i assume? I
> will have a fun day plugging in all my USB goodies and re-assigning them
> drive letters.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> greg


I can't make any promises of what it'll work with... it does work with
my iPod and all my memory sticks, but it doesn't work with my USB
external drive.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

> "Steven Wilson" <swilson@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:eTQ0f.2264$GG4.1207@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>
> > Most excelent. So that will work with cameras and anything i assume? I
> > will have a fun day plugging in all my USB goodies and re-assigning them
> > drive letters.

>
> I can't make any promises of what it'll work with... it does work with my
> iPod and all my memory sticks, but it doesn't work with my USB external
> drive.




I use all 26 drive letters (including B!) on my computer, so have none free
for USB devices.

So, instead, I create a folder in C:\ called Mount.

Inside my Mount folder, I create a folder per USB storage device, so in this
case I'd create a folder called iPod.

Then, I use the Disk Management to mount that device to the folder I want.
This is achieved in exactly the same way as assigning it a drive letter, but
instead you choose the option 'Mount in the following empty NTFS folder' and
browse to the folder you just created.

To access the files on that device, I simply look in C:\Mount\iPod

Please note, your disk needs to be formatted with NTFS for this to happen.
I can verify it works on Windows XP, it might work with Windows 2000 also,
but I don't know.



--
AZC


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Andrew Z Carpenter wrote:
>>"Steven Wilson" <swilson@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>news:eTQ0f.2264$GG4.1207@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>>
>>
>>>Most excelent. So that will work with cameras and anything i assume? I
>>>will have a fun day plugging in all my USB goodies and re-assigning them
>>>drive letters.

>>
>>I can't make any promises of what it'll work with... it does work with my
>>iPod and all my memory sticks, but it doesn't work with my USB external
>>drive.

>
>
>
>
> I use all 26 drive letters (including B!) on my computer, so have none free
> for USB devices.
>
> So, instead, I create a folder in C:\ called Mount.
>
> Inside my Mount folder, I create a folder per USB storage device, so in this
> case I'd create a folder called iPod.
>
> Then, I use the Disk Management to mount that device to the folder I want.
> This is achieved in exactly the same way as assigning it a drive letter, but
> instead you choose the option 'Mount in the following empty NTFS folder' and
> browse to the folder you just created.
>
> To access the files on that device, I simply look in C:\Mount\iPod
>
> Please note, your disk needs to be formatted with NTFS for this to happen.
> I can verify it works on Windows XP, it might work with Windows 2000 also,
> but I don't know.
>
>
>

Cool idea - I'll be moving my external drive to that today.
FYI tho - don't format the iPod to NTFS - it will only work with FAT32
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice



>>

> Cool idea - I'll be moving my external drive to that today.
> FYI tho - don't format the iPod to NTFS - it will only work with FAT32


Great ideas, but one thing i wondered, i never noticed before that the
ipod actually took a drive letter. Am i imagining that didnt? Now it
dows?

greg
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

Greg B. wrote:
>
>
>>>

>> Cool idea - I'll be moving my external drive to that today.
>> FYI tho - don't format the iPod to NTFS - it will only work with FAT32

>
>
> Great ideas, but one thing i wondered, i never noticed before that the
> ipod actually took a drive letter. Am i imagining that didnt? Now it
> dows?
>
> greg


<shrugging shoulders>
I don't know - I think mine has always just been a drive letter, but I
only use mine to transfer data files - I don't have the iPod software
loaded on my pc. All my music is on my Dell DJ30 (which does not use a
drive letter) since the battery on that lasts for more than 5 minutes.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Ipod and XP and Netware not playing nice

> "Steven Wilson" <swilson@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:1kS0f.2421$GG4.1870@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>
> Cool idea - I'll be moving my external drive to that today.
> FYI tho - don't format the iPod to NTFS - it will only work with FAT32




Just to make myself clear -- you don't format the *devices* to NTFS, it's
just the hard drive in your *computer* must be formatted with NTFS.

The devices can be any supported file system.



--
AZC


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.