Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
marceldejager Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is iFolder a sollution or is there something else?

Hi There,

Till one year ago we had een Netware network. We had some colleagues that uses a notebook and to sync there documents we used iFolder. This worked fine.
However now we are running a Windows 2008 R2 network and the colleagues with the notebooks still want to have there documents at all times. We tried to use OFFLINE FILES but that is a disaster.

We want to use iFolder but we are not running OES2 so I think that isn't a sollution.
Does anybode know if iFolder can run on a AD enviroment only or does anybode know a other sollution for this?

Thanks,

Marcel de Jager
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
pblouin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is iFolder a sollution or is there something else?

marceldejager;2113412 wrote:
Hi There,

Till one year ago we had een Netware network. We had some colleagues that uses a notebook and to sync there documents we used iFolder. This worked fine.
However now we are running a Windows 2008 R2 network and the colleagues with the notebooks still want to have there documents at all times. We tried to use OFFLINE FILES but that is a disaster.

We want to use iFolder but we are not running OES2 so I think that isn't a sollution.
Does anybode know if iFolder can run on a AD enviroment only or does anybode know a other sollution for this?

Thanks,

Marcel de Jager

Marcel,

You can easily use the free openSUSE distribution of Linux to run and deliver a synchronization solution for your users. While it doesn’t “run on a AD environment,” it can be configured to leverage LDAP access to your existing Active Directory for the provisioning of users (which I recommend for anything other than either a personal or very small implementation).

I have an iFolder 3.8 server running on openSUSE 11.3 with about twenty users and in the last sixty days it’s synchronized over 750 GB of their data. All I’m really missing by not running it on OES2 is support from Novell / Attachmate but since I built the system it’s mostly been a “set it and forget it” solution.

Back in I think 2002 or 2003, a colleague and I implemented an iFolder solution at the company we worked for back then. That system is still in place and provides synchronization services for well over five-hundred remote and local users.

I think you should give iFolder a little more consideration and perhaps read the admin and user guides to get a stronger sense of what’s involved.

Hope this helps!

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.