slrico Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kanaka Plug-in not working Lion

Hi all,

We just deployed Kanaka in a test environment preparing to go production. I can login fine using the Client, but can not login utilizing the plugin. We installed on OES2 SP3. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Being in the K-12 workspace, having the plugin work for student logins would be ideal. I have not yet tested on a Snow Leopard machine, but we are hoping to move the district to Lion ASAP. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Shannon Rico
Sr. Network Engineer
Garland ISD
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Kanaka Plug-in not working Lion

slrico wrote:

>
> Hi all,
>
> We just deployed Kanaka in a test environment preparing to go
> production. I can login fine using the Client, but can not login
> utilizing the plugin. We installed on OES2 SP3. Anyone else experiencing
> this issue? Being in the K-12 workspace, having the plugin work for
> student logins would be ideal. I have not yet tested on a Snow Leopard
> machine, but we are hoping to move the district to Lion ASAP. Thanks in
> advance for any assistance.
>
> Shannon Rico
> Sr. Network Engineer
> Garland ISD
>
>

Do you have proxy settings on the client. If so make sure you have an
exclusion for the servers not to be proxied. That is what I ran into. Hope
it is the same for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
matthewdefoor Absent Member.
Absent Member.

slrico;2172839 wrote:
Hi all,

We just deployed Kanaka in a test environment preparing to go production. I can login fine using the Client, but can not login utilizing the plugin. We installed on OES2 SP3. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Being in the K-12 workspace, having the plugin work for student logins would be ideal. I have not yet tested on a Snow Leopard machine, but we are hoping to move the district to Lion ASAP. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Shannon Rico
Sr. Network Engineer
Garland ISD

When you say that it doesn't work, what have you tried? How is your Kanaka policy configured? Network Accounts? Mobility enabled? Have ensured that you are trying to login with an eDirectory account that doesn't already exist as a local user on the Mac?

Cheers,
Matt
0 Likes
slrico Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well we figured out that if we took a Lion machine right out of the box it works fine, for whatever reason, if the box has been in use, the plugin will not work but the client will. On a brand new machine, setting up only an admin account and then installing the plugin, the plugin works fine. Not sure what that is about. Saw weird issues on the login attempts on the server as only get info attempts as opposed to authentication requests when it failed. At any rate now working on new issues.
0 Likes
matthewdefoor Absent Member.
Absent Member.

slrico;2173181 wrote:
Well we figured out that if we took a Lion machine right out of the box it works fine, for whatever reason, if the box has been in use, the plugin will not work but the client will. On a brand new machine, setting up only an admin account and then installing the plugin, the plugin works fine. Not sure what that is about. Saw weird issues on the login attempts on the server as only get info attempts as opposed to authentication requests when it failed. At any rate now working on new issues.

It shouldn't matter how long the machine has been in use. On these machines that have been in use, do you already have local accounts that match usernames in eDirectory? If so, that is your problem. Based on your description of the problem, I would guess that is what is going on.

Keep in mind, the OS X authentication model checks its local authentication authority first! Once it finds an account in it by the one you entered in loginwindow, it will only attempt to authenticate it locally. At this point, get user info requests are superfluous.

Cheers,
Matt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.