CarlW
New Member.

Kanaka and macOS Sierra 10.12

I'm wondering if there will be an update to Kanaka Client & Plugin for compatibility with macOS Sierra?
In testing I'm seeing problems with user accounts getting prompts during the login process to supply username & password for mounting network shares, this behaviour doesn't appear on Mac OS X El Capitan clients using the same plugin version.

Kanaka Plugin version is 2.7.3.

Any logging/debug tricks to figure out what's happening here?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Kanaka and macOS Sierra 10.12

carlwindus,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
nbiggs112 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

carlwindus;2440591 wrote:
I'm wondering if there will be an update to Kanaka Client & Plugin for compatibility with macOS Sierra?
In testing I'm seeing problems with user accounts getting prompts during the login process to supply username & password for mounting network shares, this behaviour doesn't appear on Mac OS X El Capitan clients using the same plugin version.

I'm seeing the same prompts with with the Plugin, however the Client seems to be working fine.
0 Likes
asmithoz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unfortunately I'm not able to lodge support requests, but if anyone else can replicate this issue and has the ability to lodge support requests, please do so. That would be much appreciated.
0 Likes
jgames Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 04:26:01 +0000, asmithoz wrote:

> Unfortunately I'm not able to lodge support requests, but if anyone else
> can replicate this issue and has the ability to lodge support requests,
> please do so. That would be much appreciated.

From Condrey Corp....

Grant Woodward (Support Portal)
Oct 11, 16:54 EDT

We do intend to support OS X 10.12 ("Sierra"). Unfortunately, this won't
be an immediate update. Sierra introduces certain changes that break
Kanaka as it's currently implemented, and require more changes to the
Kanaka client than previous OS X editions did. It's definitely a top
priority for us, however.

Grant Woodward
Technical Support Team Manager
Condrey Corporation

Jgames
Oct 11, 16:35 EDT

Will there be an update for the Micro Focus version.
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

Thanks for that info. I'm hoping this will be updated by end of 2016.
0 Likes
casutton
New Member.

Any word on this? It seems like I shouldn't have to say this, but I will anyway. If updates for Sierra across all the Microfocus/Novell products don't come out faster, we won't be able to continue using them. How long was Sierra in beta? Why weren't there beta versions ready to go for this from day one? This is frustrating as we are getting new Mac products that can't have anything but Sierra on them.
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

I haven't seen anything new in the download centre. Also agree with the sentiment about the lack of timely releases from developers. Given the four month developer preview period, it's pretty frustrating to not have day zero (or close to it) releases for support.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 12/13/2016 5:36 PM, casutton wrote:
>
> Any word on this? It seems like I shouldn't have to say this, but I will
> anyway. If updates for Sierra across all the Microfocus/Novell products
> don't come out faster, we won't be able to continue using them. How long
> was Sierra in beta? Why weren't there beta versions ready to go for this
> from day one? This is frustrating as we are getting new Mac products
> that can't have anything but Sierra on them.
>
>

casutton,

We're continuing to work on a Sierra release of Kanaka. The holdup is a
bug in OS X 10.12 (and not fixed in either 10.12.1 or the just-released
10.12.2.) We're actively working with Apple's support engineers to
resolve that issue.

This issue affects the Kanaka plugin, but does not affect the desktop
client. We're weighing releasing an interim patch without support for
the plugin on Sierra. Our support interactions suggest that the plugin
sees much wider use than the desktop client, however, so we're not sure
how helpful that would be for our customers. If you can provide some
feedback in that regard, that would be helpful.

Our apologies for this situation; we're certainly aware of the
difficulties this is causing!

-- NFMS Support Team
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

Thanks for the update 🙂

We're probably a 50/50 plugin/client use here, and while I'd rather not have seperate patches, I do have staff that use the desktop client looking to upgrade to 10.12. If that could be released, it would be handy to have in case there are issues with those systems.

The plugin is the version I'm having the most visible issue with at the moment (as per screenshot at the top of this thread).
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

Now that macOS 10.12.3 has been released, has there been any additional progress in fixing the issue causing the auth prompt to appear during login?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 1/24/2017 7:56 PM, carlwindus wrote:
>
> Now that macOS 10.12.3 has been released, has there been any additional
> progress in fixing the issue causing the auth prompt to appear during
> login?
>
>

Unfortunately, 10.12.3 did not resolve this issue. We'll be moving
forward with other solutions. We can't commit to a specific timeframe,
of course, but this is a very high priority for us.
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

Any further progress on this?
0 Likes
paul_hazelden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

carlwindus;2451779 wrote:
Any further progress on this?

I would like to add me in to this, some info on the status would be really useful.

We are now looking into alternate ways of logging in without using Kanaka. Our main use is the plugin, and we require the home drives and shared drives to mount at login. The problem we have is that the image builds for Sierra are due to be built and tested with all of our Apps. If we cant then log in to a user account on the Mac and then test the software, then I cant complete the testing. So now time will have to be spent trying to set up alternate systems and testing them to see if they will work in our environment.

Paul
0 Likes
paul_hazelden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

paul_hazelden;2452286 wrote:

We are now looking into alternate ways of logging in without using Kanaka. Our main use is the plugin, and we require the home drives and shared drives to mount at login. The problem we have is that the image builds for Sierra are due to be built and tested with all of our Apps. If we cant then log in to a user account on the Mac and then test the software, then I cant complete the testing. So now time will have to be spent trying to set up alternate systems and testing them to see if they will work in our environment.

Paul

For those of you out there who are interested...
On a test Mac running 10.12.3 Sierra, I ran the following two commands, then rebooted. Kanaka 2.8.2 plugin was already installed and configured, and prior tests failed to mount any drives.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetworkAuthorization AllowUnknownServers -bool YES
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetworkAuthorization UseShortName -bool YES

The results of this are the Network shares associated with the account I then logged in as mounted, unfortunately the Home directory failed to mount. But when you click on the Globe icon in the Dock for the Home directory the box is then populated with the short name, which we need for connecting, rather than the full name which fails in our enviroment.

If you can live with a local home and manually mounting the network home, then this will help you move forward. For me I need the Network home to mount at login, first time and every time.

Interestingly, this runs against the expected result, due to Apple preventing anything but root from modifying the /Volumes folder, I would expect the share points to fail to mount into the Volumes folder as they cant modify it. But they do. If you want to you can create a folder in the local user account, or in tmp, and mount the share to there instead of Volumes. Once you save the settings to your keychain, the drives will mount at each login.

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.