rdemaster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kananka Plug-in Doesn't Connect

I have a fresh install of Sles11 sp1 and Kanaka for Mac 2.8. The Kanaka Client is working with no problems but when I try to add a server for the plug-in I get this message when trying to test the server.

"There was an unknown error communicating with the Kanaka Server (xx.xx.xx.xx); Result = -14987.

Is this a certificate problem? I have internally signed certificates and they all seem to be valid.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Kananka Plug-in Doesn't Connect

rdemaster;2269109 wrote:
I have a fresh install of Sles11 sp1 and Kanaka for Mac 2.8. The Kanaka Client is working with no problems but when I try to add a server for the plug-in I get this message when trying to test the server.

"There was an unknown error communicating with the Kanaka Server (xx.xx.xx.xx); Result = -14987.

Is this a certificate problem? I have internally signed certificates and they all seem to be valid.

By "Sles11 sp1" do you mean OES11 (which is an add-on for SLES11 SP1) or OES11 SP1 (an add-on for SLES11 SP2)?

If I've understood the above correctly you can connect to the server running the Kanaka 2.8 engine from a Mac client using the Kanaka Client but not via the Kanaka Plug-in?

Have you seen TID 7012010[1] which covers generating and configuring certificates for Kanaka 2.8?

Which version of Mac OS X is your Mac client running? I'm guessing OS X 10.8.x. The only time I've come across error -14987 relates to secondary IP addresses on the server. Are they in play here?

HTH.

[1] http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7012010
0 Likes
rdemaster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On my server I'm running SLES 11 sp1 and OES 11. On my Mac's I'm running os 10.7.5.
I followed the instructions from the support doc titled "Kanka 2.8: Generating And Signing Your Own Certificate"
I do have an internal and external ip address. All resolve to the same server. Could that be a problem?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 25/06/2013 16:36, rdemaster wrote:

> On my server I'm running SLES 11 sp1 and OES 11. On my Mac's I'm running
> os 10.7.5.
> I followed the instructions from the support doc titled "Kanka 2.8:
> Generating And Signing Your Own Certificate"
> I do have an internal and external ip address. All resolve to the same
> server. Could that be a problem?

I suspect the multiple IP addresses are the problem but I think you it
should work if you add the other DNS name/IP address as a Subject
Alternative Name at step 7 of the Server Configuration bit of TID
7012010 (Step 4 of 6 for Issue Certificate).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
rdemaster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried adding the second DNS name but that didn't work. I tried installing the engine on another server and that didn't work. I tired erasing everything and starting over (three times) and that didn't work either. Don't really know what to try next.
0 Likes
candaced Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you figure this out? I am having the same error.
SLES 11 OES 11 Kanaka 2.8
Only one IP address on the server.
I followed TID 7012010.
0 Likes
demuth Absent Member.
Absent Member.

candaced;2280801 wrote:
Did you figure this out? I am having the same error.
SLES 11 OES 11 Kanaka 2.8
Only one IP address on the server.
I followed TID 7012010.

Have exactly the same problem; login with the Kanaka Client works perfect, but not with the plug-in (login is denied). When I monitored the network traffic with Wireshark, I noticed that there is no network traffic at all at port 3089 when using the plug-in (there is traffic when using the client). Also no traffic at all when using the option "Test Server" in Directory Utility (there I get the error "There was an unknown error communicating with the Kanaka Server (192.168.17.202); Result = -14987."; tried it with the DNS-name and IP-number of the server.

Therefore I think something is preventing the plug-in to communicate with the NIC. But till now I was not able to find a clue in the logs of the Macintosh.

Macintosh: OS X 10.8.5
Novell: OES (SLES 11 SP 2)
Kanaka: Version 2.8

Regards, Daniel
0 Likes
jfeyen Contributor.
Contributor.

We also had the issue :Result = -14987
On the MAC we surfed to the Kanaka url https://kanakaurl:3089 with firefox , accepted that it was untrusted.
Opened Kanaka client plugin again and the login worked!
Seemed to be something with the proxy..
Mac OSX 10.9.3
OES 11 SP1 with Kanaka 2.80

Hope this helps some other people out.

Kr,

Joeri
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.