Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1138 views

Known issues with 4.9x clients and NW3.x

We are running NW 3.2 and using 4.91a client. Client 4.83SP2 kept crashing
on WINXPSP2, so we switched to 4.91a.

In article <mml1s2x3hc.ln2@IBMSUSE.haitch.net>, Hamish wrote:
> there are known issues with
> the 4.9x clients and NW3.x


Only issue I see is that "A" (archive) attribute is never displayed. I
really need to see it because it is my first clue that a backup has failed
somewhere.

What other issues should I be aware of? It seems to be working well for us
except as above.

Thanks

Ted


Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Known issues with 4.9x clients and NW3.x

Ted,

The issues may have been resolved with the 4.91a client - centainly with
the original 4.90 and a number of patches after it, there were problems,
in particular with bindery access to the servers. NW3.x is no longer
supported, and the current clients are not tested against them.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Known issues with 4.9x clients and NW3.x

Hamish;

Okay, thanks. Sorry to hear Novell is not testing client compatibility with
3.2. It is absolutely rock solid. We get maybe one crash a year. Wish I
could say the same for our M$ servers.

Ted

"Hamish" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:80sas2xj67.ln2@IBMSUSE.haitch.net...
> Ted,
>
> The issues may have been resolved with the 4.91a client - centainly with
> the original 4.90 and a number of patches after it, there were problems,
> in particular with bindery access to the servers. NW3.x is no longer
> supported, and the current clients are not tested against them.
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Known issues with 4.9x clients and NW3.x

ted,

> Okay, thanks. Sorry to hear Novell is not testing client compatibility with
> 3.2. It is absolutely rock solid. We get maybe one crash a year. Wish I
> could say the same for our M$ servers.


Yep, the 3.x boxes were rock solid, but 3.x is "old" technology - NW3.1
came out in 1989 (?) - it predates even NT3.50.

Its not officially tested, but it sounds like the engineers working on
it hear about issues - the known issues with 4.90 and 3.x appear to have
been resolved.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Known issues with 4.9x clients and NW3.x

Hamish;

I guess they don't know about the archive bit problem. I assume it is a
client issue, and not WinXP. Using WinXP I can see the archive bit on
everything (including Linux) except Novell. I guess I could resolve it by
setting up a WinXP computer using only the MS client for Netware and see if
it works. On the other hand, the MS client might not even be able to see a
bindery only connection.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Ted

"Hamish" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:j9ges2xqcv.ln2@IBMSUSE.haitch.net...
>
> Its not officially tested, but it sounds like the engineers working on it
> hear about issues - the known issues with 4.90 and 3.x appear to have been
> resolved.
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.