New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

LDIF Import-C1 stops partway

I'm trying to do something I've done every year: import new users through ConsoleOne/LDIF Import wizard.

I have a file with 348 users and I'm using the same format LDIF file.

Import stopped at 250 records first time. I tried another NW server and it stopped at 100. I removed the top 100 records form the import file, and the next import ran to 125 records.

Is the server imposing some sort of arbitrary limit--the numbers seem too round?

The LDAP server I'm using is the same as before (OES-NW 6.5 sp7), 2 SLES servers have been added to tree since last import, but they are not explicitly involved in the import. Master replica is on NW server.

TIA
Simon.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In a test enironment in the past, I've created over 20K users in a single LDIF import process. in that sweep I created passwords, added e-mail addresses, UIDs, full names, and other minor information to the user object.

On the advanced tab on your import, did you have the event create the log files that report about the attempt? If you did, does the error log report anything of interest, or where and on what object did the process crash?

If you didn't create the logs, have them created this time to learn what's happening.

In my experiences, it's been a royal pain to get the format of the LDIF just right, but once I stumble upon that format, it's been flawless.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did look at the logs. The only errors I receive are if users already exist (as happens if I re-do the import) Actually, the first import took 275 records:
-----------
Novell ICE ConsoleOne native interface for Novell eDirectory
version: 10552.36
Copyright 2000 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved. Patent Pending.
Source Handler: ICE LDIF handler for Novell eDirectory (version: 10552.36 )
Destination Handler: ICE LDAP handler for Novell eDirectory (version: 10552.36 )
ICE log file: ice.log
Start time: Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Operation in progress ...

. .
Record 39: LBURP operation failed: 68(Already exists), dn: cn=LArmstrong,ou=Students,o=LCS
Record 40: LBURP operation failed: 68(Already exists), dn: cn=CHollingsworth,ou=Students,o=LCS

Total entries processed: 275
Total entries failed: 2
End time: Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Total Time: 0:00:12.109
Time per entry: 00:00.044
---------

I've tried removing records from the beginning of the file, and I can get them all imported with multiple attempts with file fragnments, but I've had to manually verify that they all got imported, which is a pain.

The fact that all the #s processed seem to be even multiples of 25 is puzzling.

The LDIF format is one I've used for years and it seems to work without error when each record is processed, but it's just not processing ALL of the records.

The LDIF is script-generated from a username,fullname,password text file, so the records and the line breaks are consistent through the file. If I removed 10 names from the top, it didn't alter the number processed-it would just get further through the records.

I can't see any properties of the LDAP server object or group object that would appear to limit the import process.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simon,

25 is the default LBURP size (see
http://www.novell.com/documentation/edir88/edir88/data/bqu6wcq.html#bqu6wse)

If an error occurs, the bulk handling stops after n burp operations (=n*25).

Try adding the LDAP "-F" (forward references) option and the LDIF "-c"
(ignore errors) option

Wolfgang

"sspivey" <sspivey@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:sspivey.3y94c0@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I did look at the logs. The only errors I receive are if users already
> exist (as happens if I re-do the import) Actually, the first import took
> 275 records:
> -----------
> Novell ICE ConsoleOne native interface for Novell eDirectory
> version: 10552.36
> Copyright 2000 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved. Patent Pending.
> Source Handler: ICE LDIF handler for Novell eDirectory (version:
> 10552.36 )
> Destination Handler: ICE LDAP handler for Novell eDirectory (version:
> 10552.36 )
> ICE log file: ice.log
> Start time: Wednesday, September 09, 2009
> Operation in progress ...
>
> .
> Record 39: LBURP operation failed: 68(Already exists), dn:
> cn=LArmstrong,ou=Students,o=LCS
> Record 40: LBURP operation failed: 68(Already exists), dn:
> cn=CHollingsworth,ou=Students,o=LCS
>
>
> Total entries processed: 275
> Total entries failed: 2
> End time: Wednesday, September 09, 2009
> Total Time: 0:00:12.109
> Time per entry: 00:00.044
> ---------
>
> I've tried removing records from the beginning of the file, and I can
> get them all imported with multiple attempts with file fragnments, but
> I've had to manually verify that they all got imported, which is a
> pain.
>
> The fact that all the #s processed seem to be even multiples of 25 is
> puzzling.
>
> The LDIF format is one I've used for years and it seems to work without
> error when each record is processed, but it's just not processing ALL of
> the records.
>
> The LDIF is script-generated from a username,fullname,password text
> file, so the records and the line breaks are consistent through the
> file. If I removed 10 names from the top, it didn't alter the number
> processed-it would just get further through the records.
>
> I can't see any properties of the LDAP server object or group object
> that would appear to limit the import process.
>
>
> --
> sspivey
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sspivey's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=20297
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385756
>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Before I noticed Wolfgang's answer (and I did not know that), I found a TID (#10094434) that speaks of the things he has mentioned. One question I had for you is are you importing your users in ConsoleOne or using the ICE command line utility on a desk top or at the server console?
Maybe I did not have any problems in the past since I was only adding users to a pristine eDirectory tree. There were no groups, only a single container, no volumes to be concerned with. That tree and set iof users was only used to test authentications to an external PSoft environment.

Loren
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.