Highlighted
jwhitson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Let SLES host DNS or let OES host DNS?

I've been running Netware/OES since 1998 and I have never used the eDirectory integrated DNS or DHCP. I've always had a Linux box sitting around serving as a sort of DNS/DHCP appliance with little to no management overhead. Now, our company is growing and we're setting up remote offices here in the US and in China that will run their own local SLES/OES servers (virtualized on vSphere). So I am starting to wonder whether or not I should move towards the integrated DNS/DHCP or continue with my Master/Slave Linux (Ubuntu) setup.

Are there any technical advantages to using the eDirectory integrated setup or is it more of a preference?

As always, thanks for your input.

J

Jason
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Let SLES host DNS or let OES host DNS?

jwhitson;2211666 wrote:
I've been running Netware/OES since 1998 and I have never used the eDirectory integrated DNS or DHCP. I've always had a Linux box sitting around serving as a sort of DNS/DHCP appliance with little to no management overhead. Now, our company is growing and we're setting up remote offices here in the US and in China that will run their own local SLES/OES servers (virtualized on vSphere). So I am starting to wonder whether or not I should move towards the integrated DNS/DHCP or continue with my Master/Slave Linux (Ubuntu) setup.

Are there any technical advantages to using the eDirectory integrated setup or is it more of a preference?

J

Either or to be honest. Some people like the native Linux "management" for DNS, and others like the java console with eDir-enabled DNS.

One could argue that by holding the config in eDir it's more fault-tolerant (based upon how many replicas of that partition there are), whereas if it's on SLES, it's hosted only on that server.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni sounds like they 'said':

> One could argue that by holding the config in eDir it's more
> fault-tolerant (based upon how many replicas of that partition there
> are), whereas if it's on SLES, it's hosted only on that server.

So my response to kjhurni's comment is...

That's the big reason I run it via OES, I feel a bit more at ease w/
the edir replicas of my dns/dhcp info.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Stevo wrote:

> kjhurni sounds like they 'said':
>
>> One could argue that by holding the config in eDir it's more
>> fault-tolerant (based upon how many replicas of that partition there
>> are), whereas if it's on SLES, it's hosted only on that server.

>
> So my response to kjhurni's comment is...
>
> That's the big reason I run it via OES, I feel a bit more at ease w/
> the edir replicas of my dns/dhcp info.
>

And I will add that clustering dns on oes works great as well. I have had
less issues with it on oes than I even had on nw. And I did not have many on
nw.

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i'd run it on the OES boxes with the integrated DNS, more fault tolerance and a fair bit easier to add a DNS server to an extra box if needed

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

gleach1;2211802 wrote:
i'd run it on the OES boxes with the integrated DNS, more fault tolerance and a fair bit easier to add a DNS server to an extra box if needed

An another +1 for eDirectory integrated DNS / DHCP. It's much easier to add/move and centrally manage things.

On catch with DHCP is that the current lease file resides on each DHCP server (locally in /var/lib/dhcp/db) and these leases don't get synced/written to the eDirectory. Moving services means you'll have to place back a copy (or have it on some shared volume depending on what you are doing) to keep that lease info consistent.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I run the unix DNS but run the OES DHCP. Hey, it works well for me. 🙂

--El

jwhitson;2211666 wrote:

J

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.