Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Live without Novell Client : your experiences

Hello,

We are planning the Windows 7 migration and thinking about removing Novell Client from Workstations. Files system is on OES Servers but Workstations are members of an AD 2008 R2 domain. Users passwords are sync with IDM.

What is your experiences in this scenario? Is features like Quota still available with CIFS or SAMBA?
What is the performance and stability?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Aside from some stability issues with CIFS on OES2 SP3 (most have been fixed for ME anyway, but still a few outstanding bugs in MY case--although there's a lot more I've seen but not experienced), probably the biggest problem/hurdle is login scripts.

Without the Novell client, you will have to manage your login scripts via AD. If you have lots of remote sites with poor WAN links and no Windows servers, then all the machines will have to pull the login scripts (or read them) from the AD servers in your main office.

Password changes will be another issue (ie, no NMAS/UP in the sense of how eDir handles it and "forgotten password" would have to be handled through the NCLE I think).

For example, I believe AD (at least 2003 AD) MS complexity does not allow you to choose say, which of the "complex" options to use like:
1 character Upper case
1 character lower case

I think it's a simple checkbox in AD for "use complex passwords" or something and whatever it is, you have to use. i think it defaults to adding symbols (funky characters) which we've found usually cause problems with some web-based apps, so we never REQUIRED it in eDir, but I don't think AD allowed us as flexible as eDir did.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is no ideal solution for Win7, but as far as performance is
compared, the OES linux SAMBA and CIFS options are really bad in
performance compared to NCP on OES Linux and Netware or CIFS on Netware.

The latest NCP client for Win7 (Client 2 SP1 IR7) seems to have
resolved most of the problems of the older clients.

One thing you should take into account, too. The worst performance on
OES Linux you get if NCP and CIFS/SAMBA are used concurrently to access
the same volumes, because the Cross-Protocol-Locking mechanism is
really slow. (In fact it is just an adaption of the SAMBA locking
mechanism to include locks for NCP-access, too) This is much better on
Netware, where the lock is integrated into the NSS-code.

Stability is pretty well for all - except some cluster scenarios.
--
W. Prindl

micgra wrote:

>
>Hello,
>
>We are planning the Windows 7 migration and thinking about removing
>Novell Client from Workstations. Files system is on OES Servers but
>Workstations are members of an AD 2008 R2 domain. Users passwords are
>sync with IDM.
>
>What is your experiences in this scenario? Is features like Quota
>still available with CIFS or SAMBA?
>What is the performance and stability?
>
>Thanks in advance.

W. Prindl
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i'd keep the client on the machines really

i've foudn the performance of the client on win7 to be significantly improved from on xp

if the quota systems on oes / nss work in the same way as the file rights do in flowing down using cifs you sholdnt have any issues

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.