Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Local OES install for remote deployment?

I have several remote offices that each have an OES2 server. I would like to install a server here at my central office that I can just ship out to a regional office, have them plug it in, and it just works. I know that OES is kinda finicky about having its address change after it is installed so does anyone have any input on the best way to accomplish this? Can I set up an ethernet port here that appears to be on the same vlan as the remote office? Is there another way?

Thanks,
Toney.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

toneyc;2207386 wrote:
I have several remote offices that each have an OES2 server. I would like to install a server here at my central office that I can just ship out to a regional office, have them plug it in, and it just works. I know that OES is kinda finicky about having its address change after it is installed so does anyone have any input on the best way to accomplish this? Can I set up an ethernet port here that appears to be on the same vlan as the remote office? Is there another way?

Thanks,
Toney.

This is what we did (and I checked w/Novell and it IS supported):--I am assuming you have some form of remote management like HP ILO to do this.

1) Install the server at your main site ( meaning physically), but make sure you put it into the appropriate eDir container with the appropriate server name. In other words, EXCEPT for the IP address, pretend that you're installing it at the remote site.

2) Okay, setup everything that you need and then (this is important) make sure you copy the OESx.x changeip script to the server (the script is version specific so OES2 SP2 is diff. than OES2 SP3, which is diff. than OES11 I believe)

3) Ship the unit out, have them turn it on. Fire up ILO, login to the desktop and run the changeip script with the appropriate IP address. I think it needs a server reboot.

Voila!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Sir, that sounds much easier!

Thanks,
Toney.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

toneyc;2207430 wrote:
Thank you Sir, that sounds much easier!

Thanks,
Toney.

Not a problem. Keep in mind I paraphrased the steps, but you get the drift.

There ARE certain things that you may need reconfigure manually (ie, GroupWise, for example). But the "OES" stuff (like iPrint, DHCP), we know worked just fine.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.