Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Log details

Good afternoon, I had a request from my customer regarding logging/details contained in those log files. Basically we are looking for something, much like the old Abend.log files for NetWare, that will provide more detailed information about the following, "Why a server crashed", "when the server actually went down", and "what was being processed at the time of the crash". I have seen in the messages file some information but it is not really all that detailed, I am looking for something that will appease the upper levels of management, that are asking why the server crashes, along with the more details that were gained from the older NetWare servers. Thank you,
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Log details

Not sure how much you know about Linux, therefore it is hard to answer the question.

Check through the /var/log files. There are several that are not exactly there, but other places in the OS. It would also help to know what you have running on the server as sometimes those logs are located elsewhere as well.

There is plenty of information on how and where if you dig a little bit.

Good Luck!

--El

dschaldenovell;2156780 wrote:
Good afternoon, I had a request from my customer regarding logging/details contained in those log files. Basically we are looking for something, much like the old Abend.log files for NetWare, that will provide more detailed information about the following, "Why a server crashed", "when the server actually went down", and "what was being processed at the time of the crash". I have seen in the messages file some information but it is not really all that detailed, I am looking for something that will appease the upper levels of management, that are asking why the server crashes, along with the more details that were gained from the older NetWare servers. Thank you,

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Log details

The equivalent of an abend is a segfault or core. These would typically be in one app rather than the OS per se, and segfault or core files ought to be created. You will most likely have to set the server up to take more details cores though, see TIDs 7001662 (segfault) and 3078409 (core handling).

The only real central repository of logged info is /var/log/messages , aside from that every app and module on Linux seems to do its own logging in its own place. So assuming the server as a whole is not crashing, but just one or some services, you need to search out where those services log details, and possibly increase the logging levels.

And finally, you need to check the server is patched up to date. A fully patched OES2 SP2 or SP3 server ought to see app crashes rarely or not at all.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.