DanPearson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Login problem - no tree or server found

I have our network OES 11 SP2 running fine for some time. I rebooted the server last night and today I'm having issues on some workstations logging in. We have three subnets (1, 2, 3) and workstations on segment 2 (192.168.2.x) are logging in fine (same subnet as the OES server), but at least some workstations on subnet 1 are not finding the tree. I ran slpinfo /t on my desktop which is on segment 1 and it doesn't show any tree. I did auto-reconnect to the server when it rebooted, but if I go to a login window and click on the Trees button nothing displays. Three other workstation on segment 1 wouldn't log in and I was finally able to get them to log in by entering the IP address of the server. I don't know what the problem is and what would have changed to cause it suddenly. No changes were made to the configuration.

Dan Pearson
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
DanPearson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Login problem - no tree or server found

I think I was able to get it resolved. I found this document (https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7012387) and made the following change to the slp.conf file on the server:
2. Uncomment the following line:
;net.slp.DAAddresses = myDa1,myDa2,myDa3
and replace myDa1, etc., with the IP addresses of your DAs (including the server where you are editing this file).

I'm still not clear on why it was working before and needed to have this change made, or was it simply a matter of restarting the service that solved it.

DanPearson;2497411 wrote:
I have our network OES 11 SP2 running fine for some time. I rebooted the server last night and today I'm having issues on some workstations logging in. We have three subnets (1, 2, 3) and workstations on segment 2 (192.168.2.x) are logging in fine (same subnet as the OES server), but at least some workstations on subnet 1 are not finding the tree. I ran slpinfo /t on my desktop which is on segment 1 and it doesn't show any tree. I did auto-reconnect to the server when it rebooted, but if I go to a login window and click on the Trees button nothing displays. Three other workstation on segment 1 wouldn't log in and I was finally able to get them to log in by entering the IP address of the server. I don't know what the problem is and what would have changed to cause it suddenly. No changes were made to the configuration.

Dan Pearson
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Login problem - no tree or server found

In article <DanPearson.8xknbb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, DanPearson
wrote:
> I'm still not clear on why it was working before and needed to have this
> change made, or was it simply a matter of restarting the service that
> solved it.

Sometimes the automagic stuff works nicely even at the extreams, sometimes
it trips up. For the automagic to totally work, multicast for the SLP
addresses needs to flow between segments. Otherwise you need to have
things actually configured. Another trick to help is to have the IP of
one of the OES box as an A record for your server name that you have
configured all your OES clients for.

It has often been said that 'Auto is evil', because it lulls you into a
false sense of security until it doesn't do its trick properly.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
https://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.