Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4276 views

Long file names and paths problem.

I need to copy some folders that have very long file names and paths to a
Windows XP PC. I have the Novell client 4.91 sp5 installed. The files won't
copy. Error message "Error copying file or folder.Cannot copy file:Cannot
read from the source file or disk". Any suggestions?


Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

Arthur,
> I need to copy some folders that have very long file names and paths to a
> Windows XP PC. I have the Novell client 4.91 sp5 installed. The files won't
> copy. Error message "Error copying file or folder.Cannot copy file:Cannot
> read from the source file or disk". Any suggestions?
>

Windows has a path length limitation. Try MAP ROOTing to a lower level.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

That did not work. I've tried Robocopy and other utilities. The files /
folders will not copy even from NetWare server to NetWare server. I don't
know how they were created in the first place.
"Anders Gustafsson" <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:VA.000043d3.00fb2f19@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> Arthur,
>> I need to copy some folders that have very long file names and paths to a
>> Windows XP PC. I have the Novell client 4.91 sp5 installed. The files
>> won't
>> copy. Error message "Error copying file or folder.Cannot copy file:Cannot
>> read from the source file or disk". Any suggestions?
>>

> Windows has a path length limitation. Try MAP ROOTing to a lower level.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
>
> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

Arthur,
> That did not work. I've tried Robocopy and other utilities. The files /
> folders will not copy even from NetWare server to NetWare server. I don't
> know how they were created in the first place.


Any funny (accented) characters in the filenames?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

No - there isn't.
"Anders Gustafsson" <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:VA.000043ea.059bfa79@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> Arthur,
>> That did not work. I've tried Robocopy and other utilities. The files /
>> folders will not copy even from NetWare server to NetWare server. I
>> don't
>> know how they were created in the first place.

>
> Any funny (accented) characters in the filenames?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
>
> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

Arthur,
> No - there isn't.
>

Does this problem happen after a while copying?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

It did until the server was restarted to try to get around the problem and
now it seems to happen when you start the copy on some folders.
"Anders Gustafsson" <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:VA.000043f8.008ec929@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> Arthur,
>> No - there isn't.
>>

> Does this problem happen after a while copying?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
>
> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Long file names and paths problem.

Arthur,
> It did until the server was restarted to try to get around the problem and
> now it seems to happen when you start the copy on some folders.
>

No ideas then, sorry.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.