Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
gleahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looking for best method to move GW8 Netware

Hi,

I am currently running the following:
Groupwise 8.0.1
Netware 6.5 SP8
edir 8.8.5
Groupwise volume is on a SAN - 340 GB!

I have running in the same tree (target):
OES2SP1 (fully patched)
SLES10SP2 (fully patched)
Novell Cluster Services (1.8.x - most up to date version)
Volumes are running on a SAN (currently configured EVMS, NSS)

What is the best way to move to Groupwise 8.0.1 on the target with cluster services?

Can I create Groupwise components on the target and use the move functionality in C1 to move users to the new Groupwise?

What about archive files? Some of these are upto 9 GB large!...stored on a Netware 6.5 SP8 edir 8.8.5 file server.

I looked at the docs for the Groupwise Migrate utility - the spec provided in this document is 6 GB/hour (using what hardware and network speed I don't know) We can't have e-mail down for 3 days to migrate everyone over

I look forward to hearing about some options.

Thanks in advance and Cheers,
Gwen
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Looking for best method to move GW8 Netware

Check out Danita Zanre's move guide. Caledonia Network Consulting Home Page

But yes, it can be done and there's about 9 ways to skin the cat as it were.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Given that amount of data, one way you could do it (not sure what Danita's guide says about this):

ASSUMING your Groupwise volume on NW is NSS (you mention on the SAN) you could dismount the volume, and remount it on the OES2 SP1 linux node (it woulnd't be clustered at this point).

I'm not 100% sure about the trustee rights, but I THINK they'd be preserved (it sounded like you had other "file" data on it, vs. being 100% groupwise POA/MTA files).

Then you'd have to install the groupwise agents and reconfigure them on the OES2 linux server.

Then you could make sure things work and then cluster enable the volume at a later date and redo the groupwise agent setup/configuration.

Just a thought.
0 Likes
gleahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay - so I've got the guide and reading...
0 Likes
dschaldedfg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gleahy;1906287 wrote:
Okay - so I've got the guide and reading...

Did you have any luck with this move? My situation is that i moved the GW system first, but when I migrated the OS (NW to OES2) it put the volume into an unknown state (Yellow ? mark) the current volume is named slesvol_MAIL, but I cannot see the volume in C1, though I could see it in iManager. I am confused on what is the "proper" procedure for Migrating the OS, along with GW
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dschaldedfg;1932527 wrote:
Did you have any luck with this move? My situation is that i moved the GW system first, but when I migrated the OS (NW to OES2) it put the volume into an unknown state (Yellow ? mark) the current volume is named slesvol_MAIL, but I cannot see the volume in C1, though I could see it in iManager. I am confused on what is the "proper" procedure for Migrating the OS, along with GW

The volume has turned into a question mark as you've (or a migration process) probably removed/deleted the original Netware server from your tree.

This is not a problem and can easily be fixed by removing the ? (unknown object), then fire up nssmu on your OES server holding the volume, goto pools and select the pool, hit F4 to update the NDS, backout to the menu, goto volumes and hit F4 on the volume... that should recreate the volume objects in your eDirectory.

Hope that helps,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;1906258 wrote:
NOTE: You will however lose linked relations to the volume (like home directory attributes) and will have to reset these, either using tools or doing it manually.

When moving a disk device/volume to another server:
1) dismount the volume on the original server, remove the eDirectory object representing pool and volume
2) detach it and reconnect/reassign it to the new server.
3) activate/mount the volume on the new server using nssmu & update the pool and volume information back into the eDir (F4 option on pool and volume in nssmu).

I forgot to add.... to sync the NSS meta data to the OES2 Linux trustee files... run ' ncpcon nss resync=<volname>'. It wil take a short while to process, but the NSS rights will be writen to the files in the ._NETWARE folder resulting in the trustee rights being set on the OES2 Linux server.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.