tiacovone Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Losing NSS access

Hello,

We are running OES2015 on SLES11sp4. On Sat afternoon 1/19 we had some employees working on the weekend and I was notified via email that over server was down.
I was able to VPN into our network and restart the server remotely and all was ok. Today Monday 1/21 we had another instance of it going down. Also, another reboot was necessary
to restore access. I would like to try to find out the cause.

Now, when I say the server went down it actually is just that the NSS volumes become inaccessible. We have 2 volumes that are mapped when users login. A USER volume mapped to P: and
a SOFTWARE volume mapped to R:
The rest of the login script maps to SYS (F:) ; and V:, W:, X:, Y: and Z: are all search drives.
I've noticed some users have used one of these search drives instead of the P: or R: volumes. I have told them not to use these.
My question is could that have caused the issue or if not where can I proceed to look to find out.

If I need to provide more info let me know.

Thanks,
Tom
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Losing NSS access

Hard to rate with the info provided. I'd start with checking /var/log/messages and dmesg output with an eye on the timeframe in question. Look for stuff such as pagefaults which could e.g. reference libncpengine.so. Another possible reason could be a hardware fault on the device(s) the NSS pools are residing on (you'd see device deactivations then). When you dialed in to bounce the box, did run something like "ndsstat"? Are the any cores in "/", "/var/crash" or "/var/opt/novell/eDirectory/data/dib"?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Losing NSS access

tiacovone wrote:

> Now, when I say the server went down it actually is just that the NSS
> volumes become inaccessible.

you could try to run "poolverify" just in case there are any structural
issues.

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
Thank you.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.