Highlighted
jchriste Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Lost and confused in LDAP

I've read lots of documentation, AppNotes and TIDs and seen pieces of what I think I need, but I haven't been able to put it all together. I'm not even sure which forum I should be in for this question. Here's my scenario:

I have 80 openSUSE computers and I need to have the users authenticate via LDAP to eDirectory. Their existing home directory (which resides on a NetWare server for the time being) needs to be automounted upon authentication. I don't want the user to be created on the local machine.

I have LUM installed and configured in eDir. NMAS is installed but not configured for simple passwords.

The same users also log in from Windows machines. Client32 is installed on the Windows boxes & that all works fine, but I'd like to move away from Client32 and eventually move the home directories to my SLES server but have them access the home directory through samba and LDAP. We have no AD in the environment and the samba server is not configured as a PDC.

What do I need to do on the server side, the Linux client side and the Windows side to get this working?

Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

Re: Lost and confused in LDAP

jchriste,

The same users also log in from Windows machines. Client32 is installed on the Windows boxes & that all works fine, but I'd like to move away from Client32 and eventually move the home directories to my SLES server but have them access the home directory through samba and LDAP.

If you talk about the SLES server,, you mean a SLES server with OES components on it ? Samba server installed ot the Novell CIFS ?

In case you want to use samba, the edirectory users must be LUM enabled and then samba enabled. Then the users coming from the windows machines should be able to access the samba share using their edir account. But you must have the unviersal password activated on the SLES/OES server to do that.

On the linux client side you can take a look at the pam_mount package, which provides a pam_mount module that can be used in the pam login sequences for the systems. I have not used it on my own, but it should be exactly what you are looking for. Install it an take a look at the man page:

# man pam_mount

Rainer

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.