AlexeyTe Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Low speed write to LTO-7

Hi!

I have test-Server with DataProtector 10.40 (as Cell-Manager with Disk-Agent and Media-Agent).

I have Tape Library HPE msl6480 (few LTO-7 drivers).

The tape library is connected via fiber channel to the DP-test server with a cell manager.

I tried to backup the entire hard drive to tape. The recording speed is just awful!

Only 3.5MBytes/s and 6.99MBytes/s to write files from this Server to the Tape LTO-7. 

The HDD on Server has a SAS-Interface. There is no more Activity on the Server. The Processor is almost never used. FC-Card is HP NC533i DualPort 10Gb. Why such a low write Speed?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Low speed write to LTO-7

@AlexeyTe wrote:

I tried to backup the entire hard drive to tape. The recording speed is just awful!

Why such a low write Speed?

Hi and welcome to the Micro Focus forums. 

Performance problems are some of the most difficult issues to diagnose. You have to gather information from many different sources then assess the results before the bottleneck(s) can be identified. Only then can we consider an appropriate solution.

I am unfamiliar with your HPE msl6480 and DataProtector 10.40 but perhaps there are others here who have some experience with them.

To begin, can you describe your server?

• Physical or virtual (hypervisor version and patch level))
  • Server OS version and patch level.
  • Storage devices

If you have any performance data, please include it. If not, we will ask for it after we know more about your server.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Thank you for your willingness to help.

My Server is physical HPE Proliant BL460c G7. It is Blade-server in Basket.
CPU on board is Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz (6 cores).
Installed memory (RAM): 20GB
HDD is usual 136Gb (It is not SDD).
Server OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 Stadndard (with updates).
Network adapters: two 1GB/s Ethernet Card and two HP NC553i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb.

Storage devices - HPE MSL6480 with Ultrium LTO-7 drivers. (Connected via FC Interface).

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@AlexeyTe 

This forum is for discussions about Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server. You may get better results asking in an HP forum.

I did a quick Google search and found quite a few hits when I searched for "HP NC553i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb" Perhaps this link will help?

Windows Server 2012 and HP NC553i Dual Port Flex Fabric 10Gb not working

_____
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Classic Backup Scheme is Triangle.
Cell-manager > Disk-Agent > Media-Agent.
In my case, all the elements are hosted on the same server.
I need to find out where the drop in speed occurs.

I have no problems with the fc-card (HP NC553i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb).

I'll try to use the HPE Library and Tape Tools to localize the problem.

Frequent Contributor.

A cell manager is deployed on the test server.
It also has a media agent and a disk agent.
The library is "attached" - there is a drive device manager (drivers installed).

The HP Library Tape Tools utility tried to evaluate the speed of writing to tape.
Choosing the Dev Perf option, launched the Drive Performance Test
The average write speed recorded in the test for our LTO-7 drive 521MB/s
586MB/s average read speed
This data is for 2: 1 compression, 256KB block and 4GB of data.
Unfortunately, I could not find a way (performance monitor) to monitor the load on the FiberChannel port.

when trying to copy files using the explorer from drive C: to drive 😧 the average speed was 28MB/s.

I can not understand what is the reason for the low speed of backup to tape.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@AlexeyTe wrote:

A cell manager is deployed on the test server.
It also has a media agent and a disk agent.
The library is "attached" - there is a drive device manager (drivers installed).

The HP Library Tape Tools utility tried to evaluate the speed of writing to tape.
Choosing the Dev Perf option, launched the Drive Performance Test
The average write speed recorded in the test for our LTO-7 drive 521MB/s
586MB/s average read speed
This data is for 2: 1 compression, 256KB block and 4GB of data.
Unfortunately, I could not find a way (performance monitor) to monitor the load on the FiberChannel port.

when trying to copy files using the explorer from drive C: to drive 😧 the average speed was 28MB/s.

I can not understand what is the reason for the low speed of backup to tape.

That test does confirm that the LTO-7 drive using the Fibre Channel port supports 500+ MB/s, perhaps under ideal conditions. You are using a large block size which will certainly improve throughput.

If you're only getting 28 MB/s when copying from your C: drive, that would suggest the bottleneck is that disk or, if the backup program is copying individual files, the many small files will impact maximum throughput.

The first thing you have to do is assess the performance of your C: drive. You don't say what the drive is. Check the specs to determined what the sustained transfer rate is. That is the maximum throughput the drive can support but you are unlikely to get anywhere near that.

Is your backup of the C: drive copying blocks or files? That makes a difference.

Have a look at this Wikipedia article: Hard disk drive performance characteristics.  It will give you a better idea of a drive's limitations.

_____
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.