ahilton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MAP ERRORS OFF and I still get errors in login script..

I am working on a login script and I am trying to program some failover into the script. I have two identical servers and I am trying to get the login script to launch a .bat file from sys:\public on one of the two servers. Since they are search drives, the batch file is launched, even if one of the two servers is down - this part works great. The problem I am having is when one of the two servers is down, even with MAP ERRORS OFF at the top of my script, the login script still refuses to close, giving me a "LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown" error. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to have the script ignore this error and close automatically? The MAP ERRORS OFF command doesn't seem to be working as I understand it should.... I have tested with Client 2 SP3 IR5 and IR6 with the same result on both... I also notice that I get a message about drive mappings being deleted, even with MAP DISPLAY OFF, although these lines do not cause the script to hang open...

The pertinent parts of the login script are as follows... (names changed to protect the innocent)

NO_DEFAULT
MAP ERRORS OFF
*** HIDE SEARCH DRIVE MAPPINGS
MAP DISPLAY OFF
MAP INS ROOT S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public
MAP INS ROOT S2:=apps2.domain.com/SYS:\public
MAP DISPLAY ON
*** OTHER MAPPINGS HERE
#appsmaps2.bat
MAP DISPLAY OFF
MAP DEL S2:
MAP DEL S1:

And the specific error in the login script window is

APPS1.DOMAIN.COM
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown
The directory for drive Z: was deleted and the mapping was removed.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: MAP ERRORS OFF and I still get errors in login script..

ahilton wrote:

> MAP INS ROOT S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public

Would this help?

MAP INS ROOT S1:=\\apps1.domain.com\SYS\public

That is how I do it
0 Likes
ahilton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for that warper2, but I have no problems mapping the drives when the server is actually up. The problem I am trying to solve is how to get the login script window to close even if there is an error with mapping my two search drives.
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The error is caused by using a DNS name for the server, but NCP server syntax. If the server's NCP name is APPS1 then it should be

MAP INS ROOT S1:=apps1/SYS:public

or, using eDirectory syntax

MAP INS ROOT S1:=O.OU.apps1_SYS:public

According to this example MAP ERRORS OFF only works for the map commands in the same line; you have nothing after the OFF for that to apply to.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
ahilton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Again - I am not having problems mapping the search drives. They are mapping correctly 100% of the time when the servers are online. My problem is specifically with the MAP ERRORS OFF command in the script.

Ataubman, I saw the exact same examples you reference for the MAP ERRORS OFF command, and I cannot get the mappings to work at all when I modify the lines to match the examples - it is as if they don't even exist in the script.

I tried both
MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public
MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S2:=apps2.domain.com/SYS:\public

and
MAP INS ROOT ERRORS OFF S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public
MAP INS ROOT ERRORS OFF S2:=apps2.domain.com/SYS:\public

and in both cases, the search drive mappings did not work at all - it is as if the lines did not exist in my script. Perhaps it does not work with search drives.... Thanks for the help!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ahilton,
> MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public
> MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S2:=apps2.domain.com/SYS:\public

They should be om separate lines

MAP ERRORS OFF

Also, try using DS syntax:
MAP INS ROOT S1:=.volumeobject.ou.o:
--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AndersG;2317011 wrote:
Ahilton,
> MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S1:=apps1.domain.com/SYS:\public
> MAP ERRORS OFF INS ROOT S2:=apps2.domain.com/SYS:\public

They should be om separate lines

MAP ERRORS OFF

I was saying exactly the opposite, based on the document I linked ... !

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ataubman,
> I was saying exactly the opposite, based on the document I linked ... !

That is odd. I have never seen those on the same line. I have always had
them separate.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.