Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MS Office performance

Last week our users started to complain about performance when saving or loading files to network drives. Opening the file from network drive or saving to network drive takes a long time.

Problem seems to be limited to MS Office files. It is mostly observed with Excel, but that may be simply because Excel is the most heavily used Office component. Users of other software (mostly various CAD and GIS tools) who are also heavily using network drives are not complaining. "Raw" network performance seems OK when copying files from/to network drives.

Google is full of various suggestions about this issue and I am pursuing them. The reason why I write here is mostly to get some feedback from others on the following. I have recently made (of course ;)) no changes to servers or network equipment that could explain this issue. The only thing I can think of that happened before users started complaining was the Microsoft Patch Tuesday (last Tuesday). So I'm curious to know if anyone else started seeing problems related to MS Office and network drives after the latest Windows updates?

Our environment: Server OES11 SP2 with latest patches, workstations Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Novell Client 2 SP3 IR10, MS Office 2010 and 2007.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I've seen possibly-related issues in this same forum, for example in this
thread:

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=480813

Does using IR 9 help? Do the files contain spaces in their names?

Some of the fixes for IR 10 have been checked in, I have heard, so you may
have good luck getting a debug build for testing from Novell via a Service
Request (SR) if you are able to duplicate and test reliably.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wild guess: Office file validation. While it works reasonably well with Office 2013, it hits performance in previous versions of MS Office. Procmon reveals bizarre behaviour opening files across the network.

There are various articles on how to disable it, just google.

Or upgrade to Office 2013.

HTH
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've had similar complains with office 2013. for the client i'm currently using 2 SP3 IR3 but will be pushing out IR10 in the next couple months.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

buckesfeld;2347376 wrote:
Wild guess: Office file validation.

After a day of testing I reached the same conclusion. So far I've only removed OFV from one PC this morning and no problems were experienced on that machine during the entire day.

Still strange that it started biting now. Office version on these machines has been the same since "the beginning" and Novell Client was updated in December. I still blame the latest MS updates 😉
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

vatson wrote on 02/17/2015 09:06 PM:
> I still blame the latest MS updates;)

Me too 🙂

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

vatson;2347382 wrote:
After a day of testing I reached the same conclusion. So far I've only removed OFV from one PC this morning and no problems were experienced on that machine during the entire day.

There is also a TID on this: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016204

For my Office 2007 Users I created this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation]
"EnableOnLoad"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\Security\FileValidation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Visio\Security\FileValidation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileValidation]

Correct?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schleissheimer;2347568 wrote:
There is also a TID on this: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016204

For my Office 2007 Users I created this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\Security\FileValidation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Visio\Security\FileValidation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileValidation]

Correct?

Confusing.

This article indeed talks about registry keys under HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\... I was following another TechNet article and created registry keys under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\... (not Policies). Came in this morning, and users say that problem is not solved. Now I'm not sure whether the location of registry keys is supposed to be different for Office 2007 and 2010, or are both of them considered.

I'd like to find a sure way to tell if Excel is actually trying to perform file validation or not... Meanwhile, I'll try to create the registry keys under 'Policies' because it probably won't make things worse.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You could also look in the other thread, dealing with "Microsoft patch MS15-011 can cause network slowdown". In our environment this was one cause for the delays.
Also worth testing is UNC pathfiler in the client enhanced settings on or off, depending on if Microsoft Windows Network is above NetWare services in the enhanced networ settings.
Removing file validation did not resolve our problems.
With Excel files we found out that users created excel sheets with a huge number of fields. Still investigating about this.
We also tried to disable sharing wizard in "advanced sharing settings", but can't remeber if it had any impact.
I wanted to contribute to "MS Office performance" problems, so I hope this helps.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.