Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Memory issue NW6.5sp5

I have just upgraded my server from 2gig of memory to 4 gig using fresh memory. I started having abends at different times under different modules. I also have a log entry stating to Increase the logical space by restarting theserver with the -U671252480 switch. I found a TID and I checked the health of the server and memory. I went to tune logical address space and it said no changes were needed at this time. The server abended anyway.
Is there a need to adust the memory usage in the OS when upgrading the memory? If so, could someone give me guidence on this issue. I had to take out the 4 gig and go back to my old 2gig to get it stable

Thank You very much.
-Thor38
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Memory issue NW6.5sp5

After you put the other memory back in, load up seg.nlm. Use it to create the segstats.txt file and then use memcalc.nlm to tune the memory. It has worked very well for my servers.

Read the info on both of those utilities to understand them well.

Also, you should upgrade to SP7 before you do the memory tuning if possible. It has been very stable. SP7 does better memory tuning on its own, but the memcalc settings still seem to help.

Ron Bronson
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would have to agree with the above post. Upgrade to sp7 if you can. The memory management was much more improved and stable.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rbronson;1826781 wrote:
Also, you should upgrade to SP7 before you do the memory tuning if possible

Or apply the CPR (server.exe) & LIBC patch if you want/need to stay on SP5 for some reason...

NOVELL: Downloads - Netware 6.5 SP5 / SP6 updated SERVER.EXE
NOVELL: Downloads - LIBC Update NetWare 6.5 SP6 /SP7 9.00.05

Good luck,
Wj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rbronson;1826781 wrote:
After you put the other memory back in, load up seg.nlm. Use it to create the segstats.txt file and then use memcalc.nlm to tune the memory. It has worked very well for my servers.

Read the info on both of those utilities to understand them well.

Also, you should upgrade to SP7 before you do the memory tuning if possible. It has been very stable. SP7 does better memory tuning on its own, but the memcalc settings still seem to help.

Ron Bronson

Great, Thanks for the help. I do have sp7 downloaded, just haven't had the time to do it. I will check out these 2 options for tuning the memory.
Thanks for the help.
-Thor38
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hamish deserves all the credit on this one. He did a great job on that memcalc.nlm. Saved me a lot of frustration the past few years.

Cool Solutions: Memory Tuning Calculator for NetWare 6.5

Ron Bronson
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ron,

> Hamish deserves all the credit on this one. He did a great job on that
> memcalc.nlm. Saved me a lot of frustration the past few years.

thanks - glad it was of use to you.

H.

--
Hamish
Run multi-processor NetWare VM's with vmBoost
http://www.haitch.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually there's no reason not to go to SP8. It's the last SP for 6.5, is better out of the box than SP7, and has fewer post-SP updates that need applying.

Nw65sp8 - CoolSolutionsWiki

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.