ryamry Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrate Netware to OES Linux on same server

Yeah, I know you cant do it straight up, but here's my situation. I have 4 remote servers that I want to migrate from Netware 6.5 SP7 to OES Linux. Problem is I dont have any new or replacement hardware to do a straight migration on. So, this is the path Im thinking of going:

1. Building a "semi-portable" system (w/ either VMWare ESXi or XEN) that I can haul out to each location.
2. Do a P2V migration on the server
3. Once the server is virtualized, do a OES Linux install on the original physical server
4. Perform a migration via SCMT from the virtualized server for the physical

Will this work? And, if so, how would you go about doing the P2V conversion? Ive been testing it out w/ ESXi and on all my attempts, Netware will not boot when placed on ESXi. Ive tried it using Portlock, a baremetal restore via Unitrends. Usually it just hangs after it says Loading Caldera DR-DOS. Im going to test it out w/ XEN today.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Rob
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
samprior1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrate Netware to OES Linux on same server

I think you'll struggle with drivers when doing this. Have you tried using PlateSpin? It's the best P2V product on the market but not cheap and not sure you can get an eval.
0 Likes
ryamry Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I went through an plain Netware install on the ESXi server. I used that server to compare drivers in startup.ncf and autoexec.ncf and edited the source server to have those load. I can use the Netware CD to boot it, but it usually abends (usually after trying to load fatfs.nlm - which is strange as Ive renamed fatfs.nlm to fatfs.bak so it wouldnt load). Without the Netware CD boot, it just sits there at Loading Caldera DR-DOS

Re: Platespin - I dont see that it supports a netware migration.
0 Likes
hspeirs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ryamry,

> Netware will not boot when placed on ESXi. Ive tried it using Portlock,
> a baremetal restore via Unitrends. Usually it just hangs after it says
> Loading Caldera DR-DOS.

Apparently there is an issue with ESXi and using Caldera as the
bootloader. If you select Netwarer as the bootloader it will load just fine.

H.
0 Likes
Highlighted
ktl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hspeirs,

I run into the same problem with ESXi and Caldera Dos, how/where do you
select using the NetWare bootloader?

Regards
KlausT
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ktl wrote:

>how/where do
>you
>select using the NetWare bootloader?

This is explained in the following TID:

http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/Solutions/10092263.html

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
ktl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Marcel.

Regards
KlausT
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.