Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrate to New Server

OES 11 SP2 on an older PE2850 that does not support virtualization!! This existing OES 11 install runs eDir, iFolder, LUM, and imanager (all installed from the disc). We need to migrate off the existing server, replace it with a new server and then migrate back to new server. Can someone point me to a document or instructions on how to do this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
28 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrate to New Server

Hi,

carnold6;2349684 wrote:
...This existing OES 11 install runs eDir, iFolder, LUM, and imanager (all installed from the disc). We need to migrate off the existing server, replace it with a new server and then migrate back to new server.

I'm curious why you are needing to do this (as you are already running OES 11 and you want to migrate back)?

Knowing the underlying reason/goal might give some better options.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Willem,

Am 14.03.2015 um 22:36 schrieb magic31:
>
> Hi,
>
> carnold6;2349684 Wrote:
>> ...This existing OES 11 install runs eDir, iFolder, LUM, and imanager
>> (all installed from the disc). We need to migrate off the existing
>> server, replace it with a new server and then migrate back to new
>> server.

>
> I'm curious why you are needing to do this (as you are already running
> OES 11 and you want to migrate back)?

Yeah, good question. I understand heneeds to migrate to new hardware,
but why back and forth is a good question. I wonder if there's a SAN
involved which could make it allso much easier..

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mrosen;2349749 wrote:
Willem,

Am 14.03.2015 um 22:36 schrieb magic31:
>
> Hi,
>
> carnold6;2349684 Wrote:
>> ...This existing OES 11 install runs eDir, iFolder, LUM, and imanager
>> (all installed from the disc). We need to migrate off the existing
>> server, replace it with a new server and then migrate back to new
>> server.

>
> I'm curious why you are needing to do this (as you are already running
> OES 11 and you want to migrate back)?

Yeah, good question. I understand heneeds to migrate to new hardware,
but why back and forth is a good question. I wonder if there's a SAN
involved which could make it allso much easier..

Yes, need to migrate to new hardware (server) as our current poweredge CPU's do not support virtualization and as i understand it, you can not upgrade from non-virtualization CPU's to CPU's that support virtualization on this poweredge. The reason i say back and forth is because we do not have the new hardware yet. We do have a system that we can virtualize SLES11 on while waiting for the funds and waiting for the new hardware to get here.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

carnold6;2349751 wrote:
...as i understand it, you can not upgrade from non-virtualization CPU's to CPU's that support virtualization on this poweredge.

So from what you are saying I think you want to end up with a new PowerEdge server that supports virtualization, and on which you will be installing a hypervisor which will then be running the existing OES11 server as virtual server?

If so, which hypervisor will this be (VMware, Xen, HyperV, ...?)

Running with the above scenario, would it not be easiest to await the new hardware and then do the migration?
If the current server was used as trade-in for the new one, you might be able to discuss the option of being allowed a week or two before sending the old one in. That would really save you allot of hassles.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2349778 wrote:
So from what you are saying I think you want to end up with a new PowerEdge server that supports virtualization, and on which you will be installing a hypervisor which will then be running the existing OES11 server as virtual server?

If so, which hypervisor will this be (VMware, Xen, HyperV, ...?)

Running with the above scenario, would it not be easiest to await the new hardware and then do the migration?
If the current server was used as trade-in for the new one, you might be able to discuss the option of being allowed a week or two before sending the old one in. That would really save you allot of hassles.

Cheers,
Willem

I think we have gotten way off the topic. I simply need to migrate to new physical hardware. The existing server runs folder 3.9, edir and imanager. We finally have the new server.
Found this while searching for this thread:

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/489342-Move-OES11-to-new-hardware

Does anyone have a OES11 procedure? Not too comfortable with the "OES2 steps are pretty close to OES11" part

0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

carnold6;2399375 wrote:
I think we have gotten way off the topic. I simply need to migrate to new physical hardware. The existing server runs folder 3.9, edir and imanager. We finally have the new server.
Found this while searching for this thread:

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/489342-Move-OES11-to-new-hardware

Does anyone have a OES11 procedure? Not too comfortable with the "OES2 steps are pretty close to OES11" part

So, i have read the migration doc linked above. The target server has the services and pre-migration installed. So my questions are when it comes time to configure the target server services (like ifolder and LUM):
Here are the defaults:

Initial OES config setup during install:

iFolder initial setup page:

LUM initial setup page:

So do i just keep the "defaults" presented here or do i need to change anything? That migration doc does not address any of this. It goes from prerequisites to using the migration tool.

0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So, i took all the defualts from the above screenscrapes and then ran miggui. I have authenticated both the source and target servers but the only "button' that is available is transfer id. So i try to add a service to migrate and the only "service" available is file system (see below screenscrape):

Not sure where to go from here? I think i want to "transfer id" last as this, as i understand it, only migrates ip address and hostname? I need to migrate edir users, ifolder, LUM and imanager.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

Am 04.07.2015 um 20:56 schrieb carnold6:
>
> So, i took all the defualts from the above screenscrapes and then ran
> miggui. I have authenticated both the source and target servers but the
> only "button' that is available is transfer id. So i try to add a
> service to migrate and the only "service" available is file system (see
> below screenscrape):
>
> 5342
>
> Not sure where to go from here? I think i want to "transfer id" last as
> this, as i understand it, only migrates ip address and hostname? I need
> to migrate edir users, ifolder, LUM and imanager.

The transfer ID without any services added will transfer IP and hostname
plus eDirectory. With eDirectory comes LUM. iManager contains nothing to
migrate, all that's really needed is that it's installed.

The only unknown to me is iFolder. Hopefully someone else jumps in.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mrosen;2399384 wrote:
Hi.

Am 04.07.2015 um 20:56 schrieb carnold6:
>
> So, i took all the defualts from the above screenscrapes and then ran
> miggui. I have authenticated both the source and target servers but the
> only "button' that is available is transfer id. So i try to add a
> service to migrate and the only "service" available is file system (see
> below screenscrape):
>
> 5342
>
> Not sure where to go from here? I think i want to "transfer id" last as
> this, as i understand it, only migrates ip address and hostname? I need
> to migrate edir users, ifolder, LUM and imanager.

The transfer ID without any services added will transfer IP and hostname
plus eDirectory. With eDirectory comes LUM. iManager contains nothing to
migrate, all that's really needed is that it's installed.

The only unknown to me is iFolder. Hopefully someone else jumps in.

I had to step away from this project and deal with an offline exchange DAG.....

So, it appears i have everything ready to go in regards to ifolder and imanager, like you said. So from here, i should click transfer id and this will move edir (and users), hostname and LUM?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

carnold6;2399966 wrote:
I had to step away from this project and deal with an offline exchange DAG.....

So, it appears i have everything ready to go in regards to ifolder and imanager, like you said. So from here, i should click transfer id and this will move edir (and users), hostname and LUM?

I've done many ID transfers, although no iFolder.

If you have any services that you need/want to transfer (file system, DHCP, iPrint), you'll need to migrate those first and when you're all done, THEN you do the ID transfer.

If you have any custom iManager plugins, you'll need to export those (so you have backups) and import and reinstall those onto the new server AFTER the ID transfer.

Otherwise ID Transfer will get your eDir/LUM. iManager is a separate install (I always install it on all my servers just because I'm a glutton for punishment) prior to the ID Transfer.

--Kevin
0 Likes
carnold6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In regards to ifolder, our data store is on a NAS iSCSI mount. Looking at our current fstab file, is a line to mount the iSCSI drive:

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360014052e422000025dd001000000000-part1 /mnt/iFolder xfs nofail 1 2

I cant remember how i got the scsi-biglongnumber-part1. Will that portion be the same on the new server? So i basically want to copy that part of fstab to the new server fstab

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

carnold6;2401007 wrote:
In regards to ifolder, our data store is on a NAS iSCSI mount. Looking at our current fstab file, is a line to mount the iSCSI drive:

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360014052e422000025dd001000000000-part1 /mnt/iFolder xfs nofail 1 2

I cant remember how i got the scsi-biglongnumber-part1. Will that portion be the same on the new server? So i basically want to copy that part of fstab to the new server fstab

The Migration utility does not touch any of the "system" components that I'm aware of (ie, doesn't migrate the NIC information or Disk info, or NTP info, etc.)

The /dev/disk/by-id/blahblah
is usually generated by your SAN (SCSI WWN or some such), and, assuming you don't delete the LUN from your SAN, but simply "re-map" it to the new server, I believe the ID should remain the same.

In which case, I believe you can adjust the necessary config files on your target server accordingly.

I think by default, if you simply mapped it to the target server, and rescanned the scsi bus, it would show up in /etc/fstab, but not sure about the mount points.

Not sure if you'll have to do some iSCSI stuff on the target server as well (again migration utility won't bring over the OS-level config stuff like that AFAIK).

So if the source server was doing NFS for example,I don't believe miggui will auto-install NFS and configure the same mount/share/access on the target, you need to do that manually yourself. Probably AFTER the migration when the server IP/DNS/etc. has been finalized/changed.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 02:36:02 +0000, carnold6 wrote:

> In regards to ifolder, our data store is on a NAS iSCSI mount. Looking
> at our current fstab file, is a line to mount the iSCSI drive:
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360014052e422000025dd001000000000-part1
> /mnt/iFolder xfs nofail 1 2
>
> I cant remember how i got the scsi-biglongnumber-part1. Will that
> portion be the same on the new server?

That comes from the iSCSI target, if I recall correctly, and should be
the same on any host that has access to the same target.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.microfocus.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
nlandas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From the documentation
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/mig_tools_lx/data/bylzrxv.html

Just make sure that iFolder is installed on the new target server with the same values as the old server.
Migrate the following
The following data is migrated from the source server to the target server:
The simias data store path
The configuration files
Proxy user (migrates along with simias and configuration files)

So once you confirm installation of iFolder with the same parameters it looks like you perform the file system migration and then confirm that the iFolder data migrated and has correct ownership. Finally, you'd perform the TransferID to move the identity of the source server to the target. I wouldn't do this more than once.

If you are going to virtualize this server into VMWare then doing this more than once doesn't make sense. Additionally, it might be possible to run the VMWare Converter to migrate this server from Physical to Virtual.

https://www.vmware.com/products/converter

I'll let other comment further on that. It might be helpful to fill us in a little more on the project as a whole. We might be able to save you time and streamline the process.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.